Kernel differences

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Kernel differences

Postby Aris Veresie » 2012-06-16 12:33

I am running a mixed system. After upgrading some packages (also installed the nvidia 295 drivers), another kernel was loaded in Grub. Grub shows: Linux 2.6.32-5-vserver-686 (and it's recovery mode), and Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (and it's recovery mode). X did not start and after blacklisting and purging nouveau, the vserver kernel loads fine. Trying to load the 'old' kernel, I still get a black screen and, less /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep '(EE)\|(WW)' shows,
Code: Select all
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
(EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
All three packages xserver-xorg-video-xxx(above) are not installed and the 'old' kernel loads into recovery mode.

I did not remember adding the newer kernel; was this kernel build for the 295 nvidia drivers?

How do I fix the older kernel? Actually do I need to fix it or is it better to comment out the lines in grub.cfg? I was thinking of installing the nv driver, because nouveau conflicts with the nvidia, but would it make me any problem on the newer kernel?

Is there any real difference between the kernels? The package: linux-image-2.6.32-5-vserver-686 (2.6.32-45), says "This kernel includes support for Linux-VServer virtualization.", which does not mean much to me.
Being anonymous is the same as being an idiot.
Aris Veresie

Re: Kernel differences

Postby emariz » 2012-06-16 14:01

What is the output of aptitude why linux-image-2.6.32-5-vserver-686? You certainly do not need that kernel, but then you cannot start the "normal" one. What exactly did you "mix" into this Squeeze system? Because it might be causing the issue.
Were the Nvidia drivers rebuilt after the kernel was updated?
Have you tried the kernel from Backports?
emariz

Postby Aris Veresie » 2012-06-16 16:13

The installation was Squeeze, text only. Then I added the Wheezy repository, aptitude update and safe-upgrade, and then aptitude install gnome xfce4 lxde. The kernel was not upgraded and the system feels more than stable though I do not use it much, just turn it on for updates. I will be using this during the summer as my main computer started to get noisy from the fans. This was the only issue to worry and I am not sure what has happened.
Manually with aptitude I removed a lot of xserver-xorg-video-xxx packages as most are useless. As I view the log file now, I see that the vserver kernel package was installed but I do not remember installing it myself, maybe I did but I doubt it. I think it was pulled as a dependency with the nvidia 295 drivers. I stopped using backports, as I do not think the application and kernel upgrades are so much of a necessity. I have made this system mixed because I wanted to see how the upgrades work and what problems may arise. And I keep a second disk with the stable version as a backup.
aptitude why linux-image-2.6.32-5-vserver-686
i   nvidia-kernal-dkms               Depends    dkms (>= 2.1.0.0)
i A dkms                             Recommends linux-image
i   linux-image-2.6.32-5-vserver-686 Provides   linux-image
I can see that it was not installed automatically.

aptitude why linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
i   nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-686   Depends   linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
aptitude why nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-686
Unable to find a reason to install nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-686
Maybe I installed this package and it was a mistake as the 295 driver suggests nvidia-kernel-295.53.
Aris Veresie

Postby emariz » 2012-06-16 18:58

Aris Veresie wrote:The installation was Squeeze, text only. Then I added the Wheezy repository, aptitude update and safe-upgrade

Then you are running Wheezy, not Squeeze.
The kernel was not updated because you did not install a meta-package like linux-image-686 that would pull the latest version.
Update the package list, install the newest kernel and X server, then run aptitude safe-upgrade and aptitude full-upgrade.
emariz

Postby cynwulf » 2012-06-16 19:23

emariz wrote:Then you are running Wheezy, not Squeeze.

Which he was also told in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80521&p=438228#p438228
Aris Veresie wrote:I am running a mixed system.

stable + testing is not a "mixed system" it's a mess.

To upgrade the whole system to testing (assuming your sources.list is correct)

# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
cynwulf

Postby Aris Veresie » 2012-06-16 20:16

I do want to sound like a bad ass, but I prefer to keep the system as is, use it for a while (two months minimum) and see if it gives me any problems. Then I will happily upgrade to full testing even though Wheezy is at it's final stages. I also wonder why do you say it's a mess, which I have seen it in quite a few threads. I consider that a mixed system has some Squeeze packages which would be more stable than their testing versions. Since aptitude (or apt) manages to overcome conflicts and dependencies I see no problem. I even get some packages from Lenny on my Squeeze system.
I have discovered another two problems, a zombie application which I do not know which one is yet, and that Totem is playing the video's at a frame loss. The cpu (amd athlon 1400MHz) is running full.
Back to the kernels, can anyone let me know of their differences?
Aris Veresie

Postby emariz » 2012-06-16 21:44

Aris Veresie, you really have no idea about Debian's package management. Worse, you do not want to see it.
Anyway, just as you have the right to use your system as you please, we have the right to ignore your "problems". We, at least, warned you and told you how to improve your system.
emariz

Postby Aris Veresie » 2012-06-17 06:52

Usually asking questions makes someone understand something that he/she does not know.
I do thank you for your advices and your time. But I will not follow them for now.
Aris Veresie

Return to General Questions