Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

chkrootkit false positive? / prelinking (t0rn)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
StarsAndBars14

chkrootkit false positive? / prelinking (t0rn)

#1 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

As a sort of continuation to the "prelinking" thread I posted a while ago, a run of chkrootkit has output back at me "Possible t0rn(v8) rootkit installed."

Rkhunter, since I have this on hand to check, has not detected such a thing and no files or ports seem to be out of place.

Is this a false positive which occurs after prelinking, or just on Etch in general?
Hypocrisy is like Windows XP: pathetic, a sign of insecurity, and a product of questionable practices.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

Searching for t0rn's default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for t0rn's v8 defaults... nothing found
From chkrootkit on my fairly stright Etch system.

Tina

StarsAndBars14

#3 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

Then I guess the next thing I do is reinstall rkhunter.

(Edit: Yup, it is a false positive. libproc-dev is installed and, according to users on the debian-isp mailing list, that seems to play around with t0rn detection a little.)
Hypocrisy is like Windows XP: pathetic, a sign of insecurity, and a product of questionable practices.