Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Etch ever going to have a graphical SELinux installer

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
StarsAndBars14

Is Etch ever going to have a graphical SELinux installer

#1 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

a la Fedora?
Hypocrisy is like Windows XP: pathetic, a sign of insecurity, and a product of questionable practices.

Gouki

#2 Post by Gouki »

I don't know how's Fedora Core installer, but you can check out the new Debian installer here.

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

Let's hope not.

"Let me assure you that this action by the NSA was the crypto-equivalent of the Pope coming down off the balcony in Rome, working the crowd with a few loaves of bread and some fish, and then inviting everyone to come over to his place to watch the soccer game and have a few beers. There are some things that one just never expects to see, and the NSA handing out source code along with details of the security mechanism behind it was right up there on that list." -- Larry Loeb -- http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/l ... x/?n-s-381

StarsAndBars14

#4 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

Harold wrote:Let's hope not.
Huh??

I'm not too sure what you meant. Is that in reference to the part about RedHat SE Linux?
Hypocrisy is like Windows XP: pathetic, a sign of insecurity, and a product of questionable practices.

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

I mean that I am skeptical of any software that a US agency promotes or creates. There have been rumors for years that NSA has back-door keys to MS Windows, and although I have absolutely no evidence to support my belief, I consider it unlikely that NSA does not have those keys. Go over to Google and do a search on nsa microsoft key.

As for Red Hat, I haven't looked at RH software in about five years, and don't anticipate doing so in the foreseeable future. Debian fits me perfectly.

StarsAndBars14

#6 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

Harold wrote:I mean that I am skeptical of any software that a US agency promotes or creates. There have been rumors for years that NSA has back-door keys to MS Windows, and although I have absolutely no evidence to support my belief, I consider it unlikely that NSA does not have those keys. Go over to Google and do a search on nsa microsoft key.
That is very unrealistic, especially when you consider the beginnings of the Internet. If it weren't for US agencies promoting and creating software, we wouldn't even be posting these messages back and forth.

Have you ever looked into the DFARS?
Government agencies, and this is stated on every EULA in imagination as well, cannot get ANY rights beyond that which the end user has, or when it comes to software - that and what is required for form/function of military weaponry or other hardware. Plain as day.

I think its delineated in more detail around sections 7101-7103.7, but I'm not sure since I haven't looked at it recently.
Besides, I wouldn't take anything coming from Google and - without anything to corroborate it! - interpret it as cold hard fact.

That's only two steps away from "the black helicopters are coming to get me."

Nothing against you in general, just stating how I view that type of logic.
Last edited by StarsAndBars14 on 2006-08-20 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Harold

#7 Post by Harold »

So we agree to disagree. ;-)

StarsAndBars14

#8 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

Harold wrote:So we agree to disagree. ;-)
Indeed. ;)

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#9 Post by kink »

Work is being done on SELinux in Etch, but there's still some work to do and not many people doing it. See this blog post for some details (the title is more negative than the text): http://blog.drinsama.de/erich/en/linux/ ... -giving-up

I think that Etch will be quite fit to use with SELinux, but that it won't reach the level of easy automatic configuration in the installer yet.

Of course: if you want it to happen, work on it!