Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Conf apt-get so it can use packages on a harddisk

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jahvascriptmaniac

[Solved] Conf apt-get so it can use packages on a harddisk

#1 Post by jahvascriptmaniac »

Now, I installed to hd damn small linux on a (quite) slow computer, and I would like to get a decent system by installing what's missing with apt-get or dselect or if possible synaptic. But my only "real" debian cd is actually a dvd. And my cd-rom drive is kind of reclutant to read that ^^

So I copied my dvd into 2 iso images (4.4 gigs was too big for my fat fs) onto an external hard disk. But apt-cdrom won't take it. Actually, it does, but aptitude won't detect the fake cdrom I stuffed into /cdrom/ (that's the mountpoint aptitude complains about).

I would like to have automatic dependencies resolution using packages located on a hard disk (I have the right index files on the iso, so I would like to use them too)

HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT ???

By the way, when i'll have finished installing synaptic, how can I do the same ???
Last edited by jahvascriptmaniac on 2006-08-23 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

I think I hear you saying that the DVD contains 4.4 gig of files, that your internal hard drive will not allow you to create a partition that large, that your external hard drive does support a 4.4-gig partition, that you want to copy the contents of the DVD onto the external hard drive, and that you want to external drive to appear as a local Debian repository. Have I go that right?

An iso image is not a valid Debian source. Apt-cdrom will not set up your external drive as a Debian source. You want to copy the contents of the DVD to the external hard drive without changing the file structure. Then you want to create a mount point in your DSL system and mount the external drive at that point, Finally, go into /etc/apt/sources.list, and add a line to make apt-get recognize the external hard drive as a Debian source. We'll talk about what that line looks like when we get to that point. It's not clear right now that we are talking about the same goal.

jahvascriptmaniac

#3 Post by jahvascriptmaniac »

Err... Sory if I wasn't very clear :oops: ...

Yes, I've got a copy of my debian dvd onto my external harddisk.
I mounted it to /mnt/sda1
Then mounted first iso image to /home/me/part1
Then mounted second iso image to /home/me/part2
Linked all files to /home/me/all, so this directory now contains the exact copy of the contents of the dvd.

I don't care if apt doesn't ask me to plug my harddisk in when I install programs, i'll make sure I did it before installing anything.
So I only need to tell /etc/apt/sources.list that I've got a debian disk located at /home/me/all.

Thanx for the help !

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Sounds like the only thing you need to do is to add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list that looks something like deb file:/home/me/all stable main contrib non-free, assuming that stable is a valid choice in /home/me/all/dists/ and main contrib non-free are valid choices in /home/me/all/pool/.

jahvascriptmaniac

#5 Post by jahvascriptmaniac »

Thanks a lot !

Code: Select all

apt-get synaptic supertux ...
:wink:
Oh dear ! it seems that damn small linux is an already-wrecked system ! Any of my new X apps end up saying "killed"... Never mind, i'll try Vector Linux or install a real Debian.

Thanks again !

-- JahvaScriptManiac _at_ gmail _dot_ com __no__spams__please__