Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
csleech

Firefox

#1 Post by csleech »

Hello, I have recently become a user of Debian and linux in general. I have very limited experiance with linux and pretty much have NO clue what I am doing; however I am TRYING to learn... :?

I am very adapt with Windows so I do have a lot of computer knowledge; so please bare with me....

I have downloaded firefox to my desktop and now would like to install it. There is no "exe" file like there is with Windows so I would like some basics on how to install firefox. THANKS!

Burnside

#2 Post by Burnside »

If you downloaded a file with the .deb extention then all you need to do is go to the command line and type:

dpkg -i <filename>

BUT! There is a better way then searching the net for a program and installing it by hand. Debian uses a package management system for .deb files. Open your menu to:

apps -> system -> synaptic

and do a search for the programs you want. Mark the programs you want for install and click the apply button.

Have fun. :D

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

I might bear with you. As for your suggestion, I don't think so...

I assume that you downloaded a file with a name something like firefox-1.5.0.6-tar.gz. Move that file into /opt/, then unpack it with tar xzf filename. you now have a new folder named /opt/firefox_something-or-other/. Inside that new folder is a file named firefox. That is your executable.

csleech

hmmm....

#4 Post by csleech »

Well I have installed Firefox based on the suggested method of downloading it using the Synaptic Package Manager.

I also wanted to try the other way suggested; however I cannot create a new folder in the /opt area. How do I login as Root. It will not let me do so on the main screen. Is there a way to set my user so that he has rights to install programs and create folders in certain areas such as the /opt folder?

As for the "I might bear with you. As for your suggestion, I don't think so..." Sorry... I can't spell; thats why they invented spell checker... lol... And I really don't understand your "I don't think so"... I'm just trying to learn linux here....

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

You said "bare with me" and I said "I don't think so."

Get to a terminal prompt and enter su <enter>. You will be prompted to enter the root password. After doing so, you are root. Do whatever you need to do, then enter exit <enter> to become a user again. Whilst logged on as root, one of the things you want to do is chmod 777 /opt/ to give all users read-write-execute privileges in /opt/.

csleech

oooohhh

#6 Post by csleech »

well ok... now I get your comment; I'm a little slow at night. :roll:

I did as you suggest and the only executables that are there are as follows:

firefox-bin
mozilla-xremote-client
updater
xpicleanup

Which one of these do I select? There is one file with the name of firefox and it is a shell script.

The file I downloaded from firefox is called: firefox-1.5.0.6.tar.gz if that helps...

Harold

#7 Post by Harold »

Scripts and binaries are both executables in Unix-speak. The shell script firefox is the one you want. (And when you examine the script, you will see that it invokes firefox-bin.)