Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Backup Over Network

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mykpoz

Backup Over Network

#1 Post by mykpoz »

Hi everyone!

I am seeking some guidance on performing a backup across the network.

Basically I have set up a script so that the local machines will ftp a directory of files to my debian box every night. From there, I feel that I should have some sort of backup of those files, since they are the important pieces of their work.

From there, do you think setting up a cron job to ftp to a secondary box to copy from server to backup would be sufficent? If, so should a subdirectory be created, is there any way for that subdirectory to be created and populated with the appropriate files?

Thanks for your time, as I was unable to find anything relating to an FTP backup on the search function.

Hinco

#2 Post by Hinco »

There are some good backup scripts based on rsync.

Take a look at this script: http://www.rsnapshot.org/

It's in the debian install thing also: apt-get install rsnapshot

edit: no, I messed up again. This does not work over a network. Still, you can use rsync to move a directory over ssh to another computer.

five0

#3 Post by five0 »

partimage works over the network, iirc.

Marsolin

#4 Post by Marsolin »

Are you looking for something from the command line or with a GUI?

Duplicity and iBackup are a couple of command line programs that can back up to remote servers.

If you use KDE then Konserve is an option that can back up to local, shared, or FTP folders.

There are more than just those you can try, but they are a few that will do what you are asking.

david23

rsync

#5 Post by david23 »

check this rsync tutorials this will help you - rsync with simple script

You can schedule whenever you want

hope this helps