Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

creating livecd/booting from network/everything on RAM

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
romerun

creating livecd/booting from network/everything on RAM

#1 Post by romerun »

Hi, I'm setting up a cluster filesystem on debian, there's lot of typing to get everything works, and more importantly I don't want to waste a hard drive for the operating system cause each machine will have 4G of ram, I just like to load everything into the memory and mount all hard drives as pure storage node, all logs will goes to /dev/null or logrotate.

So, is there a nice way to boot from network into memory, or create a livecd that get everything into the mem after boot ?

thanks
kem

pelle

Re: creating livecd/booting from network/everything on RAM

#2 Post by pelle »

romerun wrote:So, is there a nice way to boot from network into memory, or create a livecd that get everything into the mem after boot ?
You can have everything in RAM by putting it on an initrd. But you might as well network boot from an NFS root filesystem since the kernel caches things into memory automatically.

I suggest you take a look at initramfs-tools (for network boot) and debian-live (for read-only filesystem). See http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/
They have a netboot image up for download.