Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WinXP to Debian Sarge??

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
WJE

WinXP to Debian Sarge??

#1 Post by WJE »

Im a complete idiot about Linux. I have 2 pcs with AMD Processors (32 & 64 bit) and I want to use my pcs for surfing the net and messaging/emails and also to upload and download my MP3 collection onto so I can use my portable MP3 player to download my MP3s into when I want to. I would also like to be able to use RecordNowMax to make copies of my DVDs when needed. I have DVDRebuilderPro and ANYDVD and DVDDecrypter and VOB Blanker also. I would like to be able to use this also if possible on my pcs using Debian Sarge or whatever you guys recommend would be best. I have no intention for using my pcs for business or networking stuff whatsoever, only for pleasure.
Thank you everyone for any help
Jim

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

First of all I would recomend Etch (testing) instead of Sarge. Sarge is getting old and Etch is getting close to release.

You don't say what kind of MP3 player you have but if it's an ordinary USB kind of player it's no problem. I know the Ipod can be problematic though.

But: You list a whole bunch of windows programmes you want to keep running. I don't know any of them so I don't know if there is possible to run them with an appliation like 'Wine'. You might have to do some research on that and maybe also look for some similar Linux programmes. If it's important to you to keep on using those programmes it might be a good idea to keep running Windows though (I can NOT believe I just said that! ;) )

Tina