Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

X server -> text console -> X server => system free

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Zbynek Michl

X server -> text console -> X server => system free

#1 Post by Zbynek Michl »

Hi all,

I have got laptop Acer TravelMate 8004LMi (Intel Centrino, CPU Pentium M Dothan 1.7 GHz, graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 - see more here) and I have an ugly problem:

A few days ago I have upgraded to the Debian Etch and nowadays when I switch from the X.org (7.0.0) to the text console (or into revers order), a kernel sometimes totally freezes. It does absolutely randomly, sometimes on 16th switch, sometimes on 158th switch... and only black screen I can see. I have tried various kernel versions (2.6.10, 2.6.15, 2.6.16, 2.6.17, even vanilla 2.6.16.28), some experiments with ACPI parameters (acpi=off noapic nolapic), various X.org graphic drivers (fglrx, vesa) and text console with framebuffer and without.

Previously I have used the Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.10, XFree86 4.3.0). The behaviour have been similar, but only picture have disappeared (and have been black) and I have needed to do a next few switches (between console and X server) and picture have revived. But now a kernel totally freezes and reset is the only thing that I can do.

It is strange when I take old kernel 2.6.10 (that I have used in Sarge), a kernel freezes even so. When I use vesa X.org driver, a kernel freezes exactly after 7 switches to the X server and back to the text console. With fglrx it freezes absolutely randomly.

I am very confused by this strange system behaviour and I have no more ideas what to do to find a solution of this trouble.

Thanks a lot for any advice

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

When it freezes are you able to use SysRq to sync, unmount and reboot?

To use SysRq you have to hold down Alt + Print Screen, then press the functions you need, S for Sync, U for Unmount and B for reBoot.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Zbynek Michl

#3 Post by Zbynek Michl »

Yes, I know about SysRq, but kernel is totally dead and it is impossible to do anything, just reset. :-(

ajdlinux

#4 Post by ajdlinux »

A complete kernel freeze is quite rare. This is probably a hardware issue.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Zbynek Michl

#5 Post by Zbynek Michl »

I have some new experiences:

1. It freezes on the FreeBSD as well
2. vga driver works fine (vesa and fglrx are in trouble)
3. The same behaviour is also on another TM 8004LMi, so it doesn't seems to be HW problem