Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Finding Software

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jimbo-62

Finding Software

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

I have been to the Debian Package page and browsed the various caregories and tried a few searches. But the process is overwhelming to say the least. The 20 or so categories do very little to narrow the search in 10,000 packages. Just one example: I want to find an application other than kfind to search through the files on my system. So far, I haven't come close to finding even one. In fact, I haven't even found a reference to kfind!

Can someone please help me get started with an efficient way to search for applications?

Thanks for any help, jimbo

moonlight

#2 Post by moonlight »

Hi,

Try using the Synaptic Package Manager.

For downloading :

Code: Select all

apt-get install synaptic
I am using this graphical package manager already for some time and I really like it, very easy to use, explaining package contents, dependencies, etc.

I have just tried do search for kfind, ... and sure it's there (I am using the testing version of Debian).

Cheers,

Moonlight

#3 Post by Guest »

Hey, thanks for your reply. Yes, I have used Synaptic on another distro. But the problem remains, say I don't know that kfind is a file search tool. But a file search tool is what I want. How do I search the package data base to find a file search tool?

Thanks, jimbo

moonlight

#4 Post by moonlight »

Hi,

There is another package that can maybe help you, however I don't have any experience with this package (packagesearch), so just give it a try I would say.

Code: Select all

apt-get install packagesearche
Furthermore, your question referring towards a tool to search for files, for sure there are a lot of them available in Unix / Linux.

For example,

- the command line tool : find , is very useful ! Just have a look into the man pages for the necessary info

- if you like more graphic tools : konqueror, a kde tool and browser is also a tool for performing file searches.

Cheers, Moonlight

jimbo-62

#5 Post by jimbo-62 »

Yes, but I was only using a find file as an example. Here is another search. I want a file that will edit jpg files. I want to edit one of the wall paper jpg files to add the word "Debian" to the wallpaper on the right side about half way up the page.

How do I start searching through 10,000 packages to find one that will do what I want?

Thanks, jimbo

moonlight

#6 Post by moonlight »

Hi,

I understand what you mean, but for such kind of problems I don't use the Debian package database as the starting point. I do it normally the following way :

- use a search engine (like google) and search for the kind of program you are interested in, for example use the following search string 'image manipulation linux'

- from the list provided by the search engine, you can read the details on the urls provided

- afterwards, you can check the Debian package database if the program you have selected is available

An example :

- search string 'image manipulation linux'
- results : www.gimp.org
- check Debian package database
- apt-get install gimp

Cheers, Moonlight

ps. another usefull method is asking friends, asking the community what good programs exists for a particular task.

jimbo-62

#7 Post by jimbo-62 »

Hey Moonlight, that is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! Thanks much.

jimbo