Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

64-bit distros

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
michael7

64-bit distros

#1 Post by michael7 »

I've just purchased a new AMD64 box and want to try as many 64-bit distros as I have room for on a second HD. I know of several:

Debian
Kanotix
Fedora Core
Ubuntu
Suse
Mandriva
Red Hat

Are there others?

#2 Post by Guest »

IIRC there's also a Gentoo install for AMD64; never tied it myself though. I'm just not a "compile everything" type of guy.

Josh

#3 Post by Josh »

OOps...that post was me. ^^^^

michael7

64-bit distros

#4 Post by michael7 »

Thanks, Josh. Gentoo is added to the list. I performed a thoroughly unscientific study of three distros and how fast they load and initialize. (I don't have the Debian 64-bit version yet but it's on the way.) I used Mepis (a 32-bit distro), Kanotix 64-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit. Here's how many seconds it took from the GRUB menu to the login screen and from the login screen to full desktop initialization.

Mepis 54-9
Kanotix 33-7
Ubuntu 22-7

This isn't fair to Mepis (it's a solid, easy-to-use distro) but I wanted to compare the 64-bit distros to a 32-bit distro and it was already loaded, so I used it. Obviously, the 64-bit distros are faster. No surprise there, but I am surprised at how much faster they are. (Actually, I may have slowed down Kanotix by altering a config file.)

I'll post the numbers for Debian when the DVDs arrive and I have it installed.