Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

downloading 4gb but only get 2gb

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kristi

downloading 4gb but only get 2gb

#1 Post by kristi »

Yes, I know Sarge is coming out in a few days :o)

downloading from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archi ... -dvd/i386/
It says 4gb - yet my downloader (which may belong to firefox) only gives me 2.0 gb of what k3b claims is a burnable iso (in other words, it burned the iso with no probs. Am I looking for 2gb that don't exist?
tia
new to Debian (ran Xandros for 4 months)
running on stock Mandrake/Mandriva 10.2/2005
using firefox 1.02 to browse and download. k3b to burn nec 3520A burner,
Kristi

EDIT - I may have answered my own question - I opened the url with konqueror and am downloading it and it says 4gb.

1 should I "be" from outside US to get past the DVD (libdvdcss) thing?
2 do people in Debian tend to use konqueror for a browser rather than firefox, or which browser.
Getting toes wet!
Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Barton, Ge4FTi4200, 2IDE hds
Mandriva 2005 etc. Used to work on mainframes.

homebody

#2 Post by homebody »

Hi, kristi.

1. Don't know about the libdvdcss thing, I just use it and don't worry about it.

2. Which browser is a choice no different in Debian than any other OS. It's a matter of personal taste and all sorts are used. My personal preference is Opera, which really is blazing fast, followed by Konqueror. At present I don't have Firefox installed - not a fan. :)
Bob
--- Only man can make the simple so complex ---

kristi

#3 Post by kristi »

Thanks Bob - When the FBI carts me away I'll send you a post card! :lol:

I did get a whole copy of 3.0r6 last night on dvd. I hear sarge'll be out in a couple of days so I'll play with this in the meantime, though the Sarge installer will probably make things lots easier.

I will look at Opera. I don't have the patience to deal with what I think is a nice browser (firefox), that chops off 2gb without telling me why. cost me a few hours last night. I'm also working on trying to get jigdo-light to work - I think I had it when the server went down - nice fast loop - LOL!
Be wel!
Kristi

homebody

#4 Post by homebody »

Sometimes even Opera will hiccup like that - dang annoying . Konqueror, however, has so far been rock-solid for downloads for me, so if it's a big one, Konqueror is likely what I'll choose. I use gFTP for ftp downloads - it resumes very reliably. When dialup was my only available connection means, gFTP would pick up iso image files over the course of about a week with all the implied multiple interruptions in the course of it and still deliver perfect files. :D
Bob
--- Only man can make the simple so complex ---

kristi

#5 Post by kristi »

Thanks for the gFTP tip. 3.1 is out and I'm d/ling it - 2 full DVDs this time. I see no separation between US and nonUS. http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0/i386/

I was never able to get jigdo to work. Once I understood gFTP, it's simple. I probably should have used bt... but anyway. It's flying - and good to know it can be restarted (I tried that a couple of times wqhile I was testing it :D

I looked at Opera and it apparently has no way to input my bookmarks from firefox. So I'll stick there - grumble and learn!!! :D
Kristi