Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I need a rolling release

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Randicus

Re: I need a rolling release

#46 Post by Randicus »

Using upper case letters does not make something true. :wink:
A rolling release does not freeze. Hence the term rolling. :shock:

Your last post has a clear meaning, unlike your first post, which was gibberish.
"Debian testing, pointing to testing no wheezy, is rolling release."
When asked what that is supposed to mean, you insulted the person who asked the question. You might want to consider working on your inter-personal communication skills. Especially if you want to convince people your wrong ideas are correct.

Happy Chinese new year!

cynwulf

#47 Post by cynwulf »

yzT wrote:Debian testing, pointing to testing no wheezy, is rolling release.

Sent through Tapthatass
Debian testing/unstable is not a rolling release. Any distribution which freezes roughly every two years as Debian does is not rolling. If you want a rolling release you need to be looking at something like Arch Linux...

yzT

#48 Post by yzT »

What is for both of you a rolling release?

Because as far as I know, in my 5 years of Linux experience, a rolling release distro is a distro where you can safe upgrade from version to version because the packages are updating instead of reinstalling, that is testing or unstable.

herpygumbo

#49 Post by herpygumbo »

Randicus wrote:
herpygumbo wrote:Debian Testing is definate rolling release.
What?
It definitely is not.
Let me guess. A rolling release is a system that can be upgraded without installing a new system? Or do you adhere to one of the other equally misguided definitions some people throw around?
Quoted from the Debian wiki

The code name for the next stable release, e.g. "wheezy", will track "wheezy" through its transition into "stable" and later old-stable, while "testing" will keep rolling on after a new stable release.

Now I may be thinking wrong of this but, isn't this saying that testing will keep rolling after wheezy? Cause I thought that Wheezy repos was not rolling but the Testing repo is. If this is wrong then please set me straight on it.
So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?

dasein

#50 Post by dasein »

This strikes me as a "No True Scotsman" debate.

(Aye, but a true rolling release...)

Whatever.
herpygumbo wrote:... isn't this saying that testing will keep rolling after wheezy?
That is indeed what it's saying. Testing and Unstable both receive continual updates except during a freeze.

I leave it to others to debate whether that constitutes a "true" rolling release. (It is, however, as close as Debian comes to "rolling.")

Pelly

#51 Post by Pelly »

I switched to Wheezy mainly because of outdated packages (oss was outdated, so I had to compile it from source, which muted my computer). So, the thing is:
More backports. Or make wheezy or sid public. A public release would expose all of the bugs.

nadir

#52 Post by nadir »

Me thinks the right adverb is defiantly, not definitely.

Probably lost in translation. Somewhere between here and Mars. The me, that is. The sad-wimpy rest of what i was asked to call a Me. In the past. At school. Perhaps there.
(too much French the last couple of nights. In TV though. Bit of a pity that only in TV. "Elle ne pleure pas, elle chante". Or sosuch. Add ruby and C, and you got the basic idea of a nervous breakdown).

Or is this a serious thread?
Call it how you like it. You like it or not. That is what matters.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Randicus

#53 Post by Randicus »

Randicus wrote:Let me guess. A rolling release is a system that can be upgraded without installing a new system? Or do you adhere to one of the other equally misguided definitions some people throw around?
Surprise, surprise. That definition is being used by some.
yzT wrote:Because as far as I know, in my 5 years of Linux experience, a rolling release distro is a distro where you can safe upgrade from version to version because the packages are updating instead of reinstalling, that is testing or unstable.
That would make Windows and Apple about the only systems that are not rolling releases, since an old version must be replaced with a new one and cannot be upgraded. Most (Or all? I do not know about Red Hat.) Linux systems allow using the internet to upgrade from one version to the next. How dependable the procedure is from one distribution to the next is a different matter.

yzT wrote:What is for both of you a rolling release?
I could have sworn that was already answered.
cynwulf wrote:Any distribution which freezes roughly every two years as Debian does is not rolling. If you want a rolling release you need to be looking at something like Arch Linux...
Continual updates with no freezes, and consequently, no "releases" or "versions". The installation ISO of such a system is simply the system in its current state. (For the purpose of installation.) The difference between freezes in development to work out bugs before releasing a new version, and continual development without freezes, is a surprisingly difficult concept. Not just here, but also on other boards.
dasein wrote:This strikes me as a "No True Scotsman" debate.
(Aye, but a true rolling release...)
Oh, come now! We all know who us true Scotsmen are. 8) Aye.

yzT

#54 Post by yzT »

Do you really have a poor comprehension, don't you?

Debian Squeeze - Debian 6. No rolling release.
Debian Wheezy - Debian 7. No rolling release.
Debian Testing - this is always testing, not testing 1, testing 1.2, testing 2.7... it is just testing. Receiving updates every few days, which means testing is a rolling release

AnInkedSoul

#55 Post by AnInkedSoul »

Do you really have a poor comprehension, don't you?
or they have a bit more understanding? dunno...

Debian Wheezy - Debian 7. No rolling release.
Debian Testing - this is always testing, not testing 1, testing 1.2, testing 2.7... it is just testing.
but right now debian wheezy IS debian testing so according to you testing is no rolling release right now
Receiving updates every few days, which means testing is a rolling release
It rolls, although during freeze I would say it is a very slow roll, and even that roll is bug-fixes and such for the already frozen packages rather than the newest version of a upstream package. So not much of a roll...

It is never released ergo it cannot be a rolling release.

yzT

#56 Post by yzT »

I just quit about this topic, it's pointless. It's exactly what dasein said.

traveler

#57 Post by traveler »

But, but... All the cool kids on distrowatch think rolling releases are the most l33t. Debian CUT would qualify, but that idea was apparently short-lived. Just install Arch and call it a day already. "Rolling release" is just a trendy catchphrase. It's almost as annoying as prepending every terminal command with sudo.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

Mr James

#58 Post by Mr James »

yzT wrote:Receiving updates every few days, which means testing is a rolling release
stable recieves bug and security updates every few days which means stable is a rolling release except a) it is not, and b) writing in bold does not make a statement true either.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

viking78

#59 Post by viking78 »

Thanks Hallvor for the tip.

I'm not going into this argue/playing with words, still I could say that I agree that LMDE is not really a rolling distro (my repo pointing to debian testing), but at the same time it sure feels like it cause you'll never have to update from verson x.x to x.x - anyway if you point to romeo I would say it's starting to roll, how well is another issue as it may roll over something and crunch it so you have to zill-a-clone. Roll-or-not.

traveler

#60 Post by traveler »

viking78 wrote:Thanks Hallvor for the tip.

I'm not going into this argue/playing with words, still I could say that I agree that LMDE is not really a rolling distro (my repo pointing to debian testing), but at the same time it sure feels like it cause you'll never have to update from verson x.x to x.x - anyway if you point to romeo I would say it's starting to roll, how well is another issue as it may roll over something and crunch it so you have to zill-a-clone. Roll-or-not.
If you mean never have to reinstall, then even Debian stable rolls by your definition. Just saying'...
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

jhon987

#61 Post by jhon987 »

here's a nice article that helped me choose a rolling release distro, hope it help you too:

http://iwillfolo.blogspot.com/2013/10/r ... linux.html

TheTexasRAT

#62 Post by TheTexasRAT »

I wanted the same thing for the same reasons and came up with -

http://manjaro.org/

http://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php