Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help with inittab

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
webhostage

Need help with inittab

#1 Post by webhostage »

Well I am sure most of you have talked about it many times.

I am using Debian and have install gnome. Right now my box boots up in the graphical format. And I would rather have it start in command line seems to be faster, plus who needs a gui all the time. From what I remember all I have to do is change the id from 5 to 3 in /etc/inittab

Well I have done that and rebooted, and it still boots up in gnome mode!

Is there anything else that I have to do?

This is what my default looks like
id:3:initdefault:

Thanks for your help.
webhostage

joepotter

Re: Need help with inittab

#2 Post by joepotter »

webhostage wrote:Well I am sure most of you have talked about it many times.

I am using Debian and have install gnome. Right now my box boots up in the graphical format. And I would rather have it start in command line seems to be faster, plus who needs a gui all the time. From what I remember all I have to do is change the id from 5 to 3 in /etc/inittab

Well I have done that and rebooted, and it still boots up in gnome mode!

Is there anything else that I have to do?

This is what my default looks like
id:3:initdefault:

Thanks for your help.
webhostage
Well, if you have a good connection (to put it back someday, perhaps) you could get rid of those things you do not need.

For example:

apt-get remove --purge kdm gdm xdm

Now the box will come up in text mode. If you ever decide that typing "startx" is too big a chore, then

apt-get install gdm

will get you back to a GUI login screen.

Regards, Joe
Regards, Joe

phaeton

#3 Post by phaeton »

From what I can tell, runlevels 2-5 are all the same in Debian. You can edit the runlevel to not start gdm/kdm/xdm and that should stop you from booting into a GUI. I'm pretty new to linux, so I hope I'm not steering you wrong here. I use the SysV-Init Editor program to make the changes I need.