Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Compiling Issues...

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
finalzero

Compiling Issues...

#1 Post by finalzero »

Hi,

I am still a newbie to Debian but learning the ropes (kind of). So far I have managed to install the new Debian 3.1 release, install GNOME, KDE and few other bits and bobs without a problem - also managed to compile my ATi Radeon drivers into the kernel (never done this before) and worked first time, I now have a big desktop (dual head) with 3D ;)

I am trying to install a package called gnome-system-tools as this does not seem to be present in this release of Debian however I had such a tool in Fedora Core 3 that allowed you to configure stuff like services that should start up etc.

I downloaded the gz file and unpacked it and then ran the ./configure comand configure script but the script bombs out eventually with the follow message:

Code: Select all

checking for libgnomeui-2.0 gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0 libglade-2.0 vorbisfile... Package libgnomeui-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeui-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
I have searched the net but not found anything indicating the libgnomeui-2.0 package is available for Debian. The only thing I managed to install via apt is libgnomeui-0 which is version 2.4 of this library but the configure script fails to find it.

Is there something specific I need to setup or add to the ./configure command (e.g a --PREFIX) to pick up the right libraries or wait until a stable release of the libraries exists for Debian?

Also is there a suitable tool out there that lets me enable/disable startup services like samba server etc?

Thanks in advance,

FZ
Revolutions are exciting... but they leave many dead bodies

jobezone

Re: Compiling Issues...

#2 Post by jobezone »

checking for libgnomeui-2.0 gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0 libglade-2.0 vorbisfile... Package libgnomeui-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeui-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
Hmm, try searching for the file it wants, 'libgnomeui-2.0.pc' . If you find it, add it's directory to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable.
If you don't, you could always try downloading it directly from the net
I have searched the net but not found anything indicating the libgnomeui-2.0 package is available for Debian. The only thing I managed to install via apt is libgnomeui-0 which is version 2.4 of this library but the configure script fails to find it.
I found these 2 packages. They're not the exact name, but one of them may be what you want.
libgnomeuimm2.0-1 - C++ wrappers for libgnomeui2 (shared library)
libgnomeuimm2.0-dev - C++ wrappers for libgnomeui2 (development files)
They are available in Testing, which is the release I'm using (I used the Sarge Netinst CD, and before installing the system, changed the sources.list to point to testing). After installing them, and if it still doesn't work, try to search again for that file.
Also, try running as root(but this is a wild guess from me):
#ldconfig
Also is there a suitable tool out there that lets me enable/disable startup services like samba server etc?
I use ksysv, it's a KDE program.

I'm also not a guru, so...

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

So... you're compiling an application, and you get a message that says No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found.

First, you have to understand that there are two versions of each library: the runtime version and the development version. The error message hasn't told you which version is missing. But, when you see this type of message during the ./configure step, it means that the development version is not installed. In reality, you want to make sure that both versions of the library are installed on your computer.

Get thee to a console prompt and enter the following string: apt-cache search libgnomeui. My computer responds with the following:

guile-gnome0-gnome-ui - Guile bindings for libgnome
libbakery-2.3-9 - A C++ Application Framework (shared libraries)
libbakery-2.3-common - A C++ Application Framework (common files)
libbakery-2.3-dev - A C++ Application Framework (development files)
libbakery-gnomeui2.0-1 - A C++ Application Framework for GNOME (shared libraries)
libbakery-gnomeui2.0-dev - A C++ Application Framework for GNOME (development files)
libbakery2.0-1 - A C++ Application Framework (shared libraries)
libbakery2.0-dev - A C++ Application Framework (development files)
libgail-gnome-dbg - libgail-gnome library and debugging symbols
libgail-gnome-dev - Development files of libgail-gnome
libgail-gnome-module - GNOME Accessibility Implementation Module for GnomeUI/BonoboUI
libgnome-perl - Perl module for the gnome and zvt libraries
libgnomeui-0 - The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - runtime files
libgnomeui-common - The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - common files
libgnomeui-dbg - The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) and debugging symbols
libgnomeui-dev - The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - development files
libgnomeui-doc - The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - documentation files
libgnomeui32 - The GNOME libraries (User Interface)
libgnomeuimm-2.6-1 - C++ wrappers for libgnomeui (shared library)
libgnomeuimm-2.6-dev - C++ wrappers for libgnomeui (development files)
libgnomeuimm2.0-1 - C++ wrappers for libgnomeui2 (shared library)
libgnomeuimm2.0-dev - C++ wrappers for libgnomeui2 (development files)[/i]

Well, duh! Maybe libgnomeui-0 is the package you are interested in, and then again maybe it isn't. Let's get more info on that package. Do apt-cache show libgnomeui-0. My computer responds with:

Package: libgnomeui-0
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 808
Maintainer: Ondřej Surý <ondrej@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: libgnomeui
Version: 2.8.1-3

Well, this might be the correct package after all! Let's install both runtime and development versions of this library. Apt-get install libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-dev

Now try ./configure again and see what happens.

Edit No. 1: There is a Debian package named gnome-system-tools in stable, testing and unstable. What happens when you do apt-get install gnome-system-tools?