Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

printer server & DHCP

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mark

printer server & DHCP

#1 Post by mark »

Hello people,

I got a present from my employer: a 3 port ethernet printer server and the message " Here, we can't get it to function anymore, you think you know computers, here you have something to experiment with"
"Thanks!" a said.
Now I have a printerserver, of which I know almost certainly that it is 100% OK.
The manual says the following:
6.3.2 DHCP

There are many Unix systems that support DHCP protocol, and the procedures to configure the DHCP server database are different. This manual does not describe the DHCP server configuration on the Unix systems. It is highly recommended that the DHCP server should be located on the same network as the print serve
I have a DHCP network and I don't want to change that.
Can somebody point me out to a well written Howto please

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Sorry for being ignorant, but if you have already have a functional DHCP server, what do you need the HOWTO exactly...?

mark

#3 Post by mark »

I want to get into the printerserver.
It has to be configurated thrue a web gui and therefor I need to have the IP address of the thing. Or else I can't get in.

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

Log in into the DHCP server, and see the daemon.log file. There are entries for each requested DHCP address. There you can probably spot the address assigned to the printer.
Or, if the printer is relatively intelligent, it will respond to a broadcast ping once it obtained its IP. It is the easier approach, try this first.

ior

#5 Post by ior »

Or try to press all / any buttons on the printserver (download its manual maybe?)

When doind this on mine it prints its configuration to all LPT ports. Including ips.

x

#6 Post by x »

Some printservers are configurable by rarp, if you have the mac address from a linux box run

arp -s ip_number mac_address

And may be the printserver will get the ip_number.

Xavier