Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Apt-Get on Debian-security Fails

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Atherton

Apt-Get on Debian-security Fails

#1 Post by Atherton »

I have the host list for debian-security as provided in security.debian.com

deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

I get cant stat message all the time. Is this the right address?

Thanks
PA

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

Did you "apt-get update"?

#3 Post by Guest »

Yes,

I just added that line to the sources.list and then did apt-get update, and I get that message cant load failed 400,
cant stat http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free/packages.gz 400 notfound.

I sthis the correct address?
Thanks
PA

#4 Post by Guest »

I just did apt-get update, it worked, might be the site was down yesterday. Now should I manually load any of these security updates? Whats the process, this is my first experience with Debian?

Thanks,
PA

Jeroen

#5 Post by Jeroen »

You just do apt-get upgrade and all available updates will get installed -- which are none yet, at the moment. Subscribe to debian-security-announce, to get informed on security updates, and verify that if something is updated that applies to you, you indeed get updated.

#6 Post by Guest »

Wont apt-get upgrade upgrade the entire OS. I guess that would be apt-get distrib upgrade? I have kernel 2.6.11 kernel with some patches.

Jeroen

#7 Post by Jeroen »

If you run stable, the only upgrades you'll get are the point releases and security updates. That's exactly what you want.

In fact, aptitude is suggested as a better alternative to apt-get, like 'aptitude upgrade'