Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian “wheezy” Released

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Debian “wheezy” Released

#1 Post by 4D696B65 »

rupeshforu3

Re: Debian “wheezy” Released

#2 Post by rupeshforu3 »

sir I want to download wheezy iso images from debian official site so can you please specify download link. I have searched debian.org site and found only three iso images. I want to download all the installation dvd's.

Regards,
Rupesh.

saulgoode

#3 Post by saulgoode »

If you are going to be downloading everything, you should consider using bit torrent:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/amd64/bt-dvd/
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/i386/bt-dvd/
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

rupeshforu3

#4 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Ok I will use bittorrent to download iso images. Kindly visit the link provided by you related to amd64 there you will find only three iso images. I have used squeeze and it contained 8 dvd's so I think that wheezy must have 10 installation dvd's.

Regards,
Rupesh.

ComputerBob

#5 Post by ComputerBob »

Are you aware that only the first disk is required to do most installations?
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

rupeshforu3 wrote:Ok I will use bittorrent to download iso images. Kindly visit the link provided by you related to amd64 there you will find only three iso images. I have used squeeze and it contained 8 dvd's so I think that wheezy must have 10 installation dvd's.
It takes a long time to build all the iso's. Wait a day and check back again.

rivenathos

#7 Post by rivenathos »

As always, I welcome another update to a stable version of Debian. Congratulations are extended to everyone involved.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

loukingjr

#8 Post by loukingjr »

I didn't know where else to post this. I installed Debian 7 this morning as a guest in VirtualBox 4.2.12. When it installed it added the 4.1.18 guest additions. I have no idea what was done but out of the literally hundreds of Linux guests I've installed over the years, this is the first guest where everything works as it should including 3D for Gnome 3, video without switching to x11 video output, screenshots inside the guest itself. The developers should contact Oracle and explain to them how to get guest additions to work properly.

great job.
Those that can, do. Those that can't, tell us how to.

Pednick

#9 Post by Pednick »

Yep I believe some people on here are eating crow now, LOL, I was right, take that. :lol:
"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

Lotso Huggin Bear

#10 Post by Lotso Huggin Bear »

Party Time!

Congratulations Wheezy!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=i ... 5036959627

Job

#11 Post by Job »

"After many months of constant development, the Debian project is proud to present its new stable version 7.0. This new version of Debian includes various interesting features such as multiarch support, several specific tools to deploy private clouds, an improved installer, and a complete set of multimedia codecs and front-ends which remove the need for third-party repositories. Multiarch support, one of the main release goals for Wheezy, will allow Debian users to install packages from multiple architectures on the same machine. This means that you can now, for the first time, install both 32- and 64-bit software on the same machine and have all the relevant dependencies correctly resolved, automatically."

Beyond happiness! 8)
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

rupeshforu3

#12 Post by rupeshforu3 »

I don't agree that wheezy has nice features even though I love debian.

When compared to opensuse related to package management debian package management is inferior. At any circumstances suse will never throw the system into broken state while on debian while installing packages after some time synaptic or any other package manager will warn that there are broken dependencies.

apt package management is good but its GUI frontend's must be more sophisticated.

I have requested forum people and developers of debian several times but there is no positive response.

Regards,
Rupesh.

stevesr0

#13 Post by stevesr0 »

If one upgrades from Squeeze, do any packages from the squeeze backports repository have to be downgraded to versions from Squeeze (or removed), or can one just "#" the backport repositories and then upgrade as described in the install notes for Wheezy upgrade from Squeeze?

The installation notes just say to avoid "unofficial" backport versions, but I though the Squeeze-backports were official.

Steve

KBD47

#14 Post by KBD47 »

Congrats to all the good folks who worked on this!
Been using Wheezy since last summer on one machine and knew it would be a great new Stable. Recently installed it on another machine and couldn't be happier with it.

anastasis

#15 Post by anastasis »

Many congradulations Debian. Have Wheezy 64 installed now. Have been using the testing for 6 months. Best Linux ever. Period. 8)
"He might be a German, but he ain't no Einstein."

confuseling

#16 Post by confuseling »

stevesr0 wrote:If one upgrades from Squeeze, do any packages from the squeeze backports repository have to be downgraded to versions from Squeeze (or removed), or can one just "#" the backport repositories and then upgrade as described in the install notes for Wheezy upgrade from Squeeze?

The installation notes just say to avoid "unofficial" backport versions, but I though the Squeeze-backports were official.

Steve
That's an interesting question. But I thought Backports became official with Wheezy? Edit - nope, looks like you're right... http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100905
Personally, I'd be inclined to remove anything that isn't needed - it's all going to have been tested less anyway.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

magullo

#17 Post by magullo »

stevesr0 wrote:If one upgrades from Squeeze, do any packages from the squeeze backports repository have to be downgraded to versions from Squeeze (or removed), or can one just "#" the backport repositories and then upgrade as described in the install notes for Wheezy upgrade from Squeeze?

Steve
As far as I tryed, you'd better remove backports before upgrading, if you can. I upgraded from lenny to squeeze with a few backports installed, and had to fix package by package after.
Maybe things are better now, but I'm removing iceweasel backports before upgrade (only backport installed).

stevesr0

#18 Post by stevesr0 »

re: removing installed packages from backports -

I just checked and I have roughly 98 packages from bpo60.

1 (firmware-linux-nonfree) is version 0.36+wheezy0.1~bpo60+1
20 are from ~bpo60+2 and are all related to LibreOffice version 3.5.4

The other 77 are from~bpo60+1 and include the running kernel (3.2.41-2~bpo60+1, matching header and base, initramfs-tools, X11 related packages, iceweasel and related packages, video drm packages, libcairo, libvpx1 and libsqlite3-0.

If all of these have to be downgraded to Squeeze packages in order to upgrade, I would be inclined to just do a fresh install of Wheezy.

Anyone else have a similar situation?
Should this question be posted (or linked) on one of the Help forums?

Thanks in advance.

beardedragon

#19 Post by beardedragon »

Not sure what I did? Net installed Debian Wheezy on whole disk and once installed decided to add some things. Using aptitude, suddenly half of the already installed programs are removed. Looked at what was left, installed google chrome, xfce, xfce-goodies, libreoffice, icedove and xsane. Added cairo-dock and desktopnova and back up and running. The only thing missing now is the icon for the network in the notification area. Still online as before.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Lenovo K450e Kernel: 4.19.0-5 NVIDIA 418.74
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) XFCE-4.12.4
Rule #1 Back Up
Rule #2 Back Up Your Back Up

kc1di

#20 Post by kc1di »

Wheezy 7.0 best Debian install yet everything went just great here. Thanks to all the Dev's.
:D :)
Dave
Morse Code -An Early digital mode !
Bookworm
John 3:16
Registered Linux User # 462608