Board "vacation"

News and announcements regarding Debian and the forum. Not for support questions.

Board "vacation"

Postby Ganneff » 2015-06-17 11:54

Hi,

its back - obviously, or you couldn't read this post.

That wasn't planned - we got caught in an anti-DDOS handling null-routing the IP of the forum server. :(

The server itself was (and is) all fine, no problems there - it just had no connectivity anymore. And it took a while
to reach the correct people to get it back online.

Ganneff
Ganneff
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2012-02-29 22:21

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby v&n » 2015-06-17 12:04

One of the happiest moments for me since last week. :)

It would be nice if forum members could be given an alternative spot to interact (with admins, as well as with each-other) in case of long forum down moments like this one. Like some IRC channel or an alternative forum. Anything relevant started coming up in my search results (both google & duckduckgo) after 3 days since forum was down.

No big deal though, just a humble suggestion (or rather wish-list ;) ).
v&n
 
Posts: 595
Joined: 2015-02-04 02:57

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby Ganneff » 2015-06-17 12:19

v&n wrote:One of the happiest moments for me since last week. :)

It would be nice if forum members could be given an alternative spot to interact (with admins, as well as with each-other) in case of long forum down moments like this one. Like some IRC channel or an alternative forum. Anything relevant started coming up in my search results (both google & duckduckgo) after 3 days since forum was down.

No big deal though, just a humble suggestion (or rather wish-list ;) ).


You mean like the Debian Forums IRC?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47049

irc.oftc.net #debian-forums
Ganneff
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2012-02-29 22:21

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby v&n » 2015-06-17 12:30

Ganneff wrote:You mean like the Debian Forums IRC?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47049

irc.oftc.net #debian-forums

Yup! And "Oops!"

I did try that, but on freenode, since the support channel (#debian) is on freenode.
(just checked and turns out that another #debian channel is also on OFTC! :| )

I had also joined #debianforums (on freenode) hoping it was a possible official spot since there was a 'chanserv' there which also announced this forums' link in its welcome message. But I happened to be the only human there all day long. :(
v&n
 
Posts: 595
Joined: 2015-02-04 02:57

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby Ganneff » 2015-06-17 13:01

v&n wrote:
Ganneff wrote:You mean like the Debian Forums IRC?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47049

irc.oftc.net #debian-forums

Yup! And "Oops!"

I did try that, but on freenode, since the support channel (#debian) is on freenode.
(just checked and turns out that another #debian channel is also on OFTC! :| )

I had also joined #debianforums (on freenode) hoping it was a possible official spot since there was a 'chanserv' there which also announced this forums' link in its welcome message. But I happened to be the only human there all day long. :(


No, the support channel is on irc.oftc.net, not freenode. Freenode is just a leftover one from ages past.
(Well, t be precise: The "official" channel is on the net where irc.debian.org points to. It does to OFTC. So its there...)

Ganneff
Ganneff
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2012-02-29 22:21

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby edbarx » 2015-06-17 13:15

Thanks for restoring the forum's connectivity.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
User avatar
edbarx
 
Posts: 5388
Joined: 2007-07-18 06:19
Location: 35° 50 N, 14 º 35 E

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby v&n » 2015-06-17 13:29

Ganneff wrote:(Well, t be precise: The "official" channel is on the net where irc.debian.org points to. It does to OFTC. So its there...)

Thanks for pointing that out. Now I understand better.
v&n
 
Posts: 595
Joined: 2015-02-04 02:57

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby wizard10000 » 2015-06-17 14:15

edbarx wrote:Thanks for restoring the forum's connectivity.


+1. Good to be back :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
User avatar
wizard10000
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: 2011-05-09 20:02
Location: everywhere i go, there i am!

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-06-17 14:18

Hoping "the board" enjoyed it's vacation, any way, I am glad to see it is back
thanks
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4358
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby i M@N » 2015-06-17 16:34

v&n wrote:One of the happiest moments for me since last week. :)


Hopefully i had no issue during this time!
This forum is so helpful, so many questions already have an answer here.

Keep up the good work admins & users ...
1 x Intel(R) Core i7 2600K CPU 3.4GHz Debian sid = roxX !
1 x MSi Wind U100 Debian sid = roxX !!
5 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 3 CPU 0.80GHz Debian sid = roxX !!!
Read The F***in' Manual or die tryin' ! http://wiki.debian.org
User avatar
i M@N
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 2011-02-17 11:45
Location: Bordeaux, FRANCE / Dakar, SENEGAL

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby kalle123 » 2015-06-17 17:10

+1 :D

Good to have it back!!!!
User avatar
kalle123
 
Posts: 198
Joined: 2015-03-21 11:17
Location: Rhineland - Germany

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby HITMAN » 2015-06-17 17:59

After checking several times, and finding the site unavailable, I went to http://www.debian.org looking for news and found none. I went to the the official IRC but found no activity. So, totally guessing, thought maybe the forum went to http://www.debianuserforums.org. I joined thinking this may where the forum had moved. Now I have membership at two sites reading "Debian User Forums" (default bookmark titles). Happy this site is back up!
HITman
My goal is to be a man of Honor, Integrity and Truthfulness.
User avatar
HITMAN
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 2015-05-10 23:47

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-06-17 18:00

I am very happy :)

I had serious withdrawal...
"Only the mediocre are always at their best." — Jean Giraudoux
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 6673
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby Nili » 2015-06-17 18:46

I'm glad that is again up! :D
#MM | #乃木坂46 | #AKB48
User avatar
Nili
 
Posts: 281
Joined: 2014-04-30 14:04
Location: $HOME/♫♪

Re: Board "vacation"

Postby TRex2003 » 2015-06-17 19:28

I expected some email traffic about a "known outage", but there was none:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00622.html
TRex2003
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 2010-05-22 09:02

Next

Return to News & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable