Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Board "vacation"

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
quixote

Re: Board "vacation"

#16 Post by quixote »

Glad you're back!

I kept checking on the freenode chat, because I didn't know any better. And I asked, three times, what was going on, but that was ignored. Is there some reason why nobody would help a newb get to irc.oftc.net, given that's the right place? Grump, grump, grump.

Anyway, glad it was just a glitch and not some NSA/GooApplSoft megahackattack. Which was of course the conclusion I immediately jumped to :? .

Randicus

#17 Post by Randicus »

Ganneff wrote:The server itself was (and is) all fine, no problems there ... And it took a while to reach the correct people to get it back online.
Wow. It took a few days to contact the people managing the board to inform them that their board was down.
I am speechless. And it takes a lot to leave a big-mouth like me speechless.

I could not resist logging in to post a comment. Wow.

Ganneff
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#18 Post by Ganneff »

Randicus wrote:
Ganneff wrote:The server itself was (and is) all fine, no problems there ... And it took a while to reach the correct people to get it back online.
Wow. It took a few days to contact the people managing the board to inform them that their board was down.
I am speechless. And it takes a lot to leave a big-mouth like me speechless.

I could not resist logging in to post a comment. Wow.
No, the people managing the board knew it pretty fast.

But this is on sponsored hosting. And since the last time we had any reason to talk to the sponsor, multiple things changed...
People got replaced, other machines (for serial access) relocated (seldom you test serial access frequently if nothing breaks), general contact addresses changed, ....

It all together took for a bit of hunt to find people to talk to. Such a thing is easier with paid hosting (just yell at the general support address...), but as said, this is sponsored hosting.

Randicus

#19 Post by Randicus »

Then I stand corrected regarding contacting absent "staff." I apologise to them for that. But I have a feeling the problem would have been mitigated if the powers-that-be had a little more hands-on approach to the board's management.

v&n

#20 Post by v&n »

Randicus wrote:But I have a feeling the problem would have been mitigated if the powers-that-be had a little more hands-on approach to the board's management.
I remember when ubuntu forums hosted on mighty canonical servers was down for 10 days straight (or was it 14?) after a security breach. They said the canonical "IS team" worked on it "day & night", after which it was brought back with a tinfoil hat security called "SSO login" that is causing nothing but login and nickname problems to the users ever since, allegedly twice as much for the forum admins. Despite raising multiple 'tickets' to resolve login issues that don't exist on any other *buntu website, the said "IS team" never bothered to provide a real solution with the lame excuse that "it is necessary for enhanced security"..... (as if the buggy SSO login is some kind of "absolute" security they've discovered... :roll: I guess they luckily forgot about the "disconnected computer, locked in a steel vault with keys destroyed, thrown 20,000 feet deep in the ocean").

Compared to that experience, this one was just a minor hiccup. :)

andyetanother

#21 Post by andyetanother »

Cut Ganneff some slack: He's done ok.

Absent Minded

#22 Post by Absent Minded »

It is good to be back. Thank you to all who got things back up.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012