Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Welcome Back! (again)

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Welcome Back! (again)

#61 Post by sunrat »

Nice work on the speedy recovery. I like the new theme. 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debil

#62 Post by debil »

lolanoob wrote:Please change the look. kthanxbai
C'mon... Even if they did, somebody will think it sucks. It's an endless road. Use the scripts mentioned or just adjust. I'm not a huge fan of blue, but this isn't bad at all after a while. And anyway, the content is what matters after all.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

BioTube

#63 Post by BioTube »

Not everybody uses Firefox. I get extremely annoyed when people get that arrogant.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

debil

#64 Post by debil »

BioTube wrote:Not everybody uses Firefox. I get extremely annoyed when people get that arrogant.
I understand that. My intention was not to appear arrogant. I was a bit irritated by lolanoob's whining about the new looks when I wrote what I wrote. I should've added something along the lines "try to figure out how to change the look of the web sites when I use <insert browser here>" to my post but I didn't come to think about it at the time.

Edit: I don't know if BioTube even referred to me but here goes anyway.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

vtel57

#65 Post by vtel57 »

Maybe the Admins could install a couple more phpBB3 Styles. It's very easy to do. This would give folks options. Here's a nice Styles site:

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/
Image Image
Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

motm95

#66 Post by motm95 »

Thanks for getting the forums back up and running!

Cope57

#67 Post by Cope57 »

I am glad they are back online. :D

Like the new look also...

Penguin Skinner

#68 Post by Penguin Skinner »

Many thanks to all whose efforts support these forums, and keep them up and running. :)

dede

#69 Post by dede »

Thanks Mez.
Now I know what a Forum Ninja do.

diego1116

#70 Post by diego1116 »

Thanks!
Não está morto quem peleia!

Absent Minded

#71 Post by Absent Minded »

It is great to have the forum back, thanks
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Arnie

#72 Post by Arnie »

Anyone else been getting this (see attachment)? My e-mail address used to be 100% spam-free from 2005 until this month. I am not pleased.
BioTube wrote:Not everybody uses Firefox. I get extremely annoyed when people get that arrogant.
QFT, old brother.
Attachments
spam.png
spam.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 42584 times
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion

Burnside

#73 Post by Burnside »

Glad to see the forums back in action (and looking good).

jjmac

#74 Post by jjmac »

edbarx wrote:
>>
It is a great relieve that the forum returned, however, as I said earlier, something must be done to allow all those who do not enjoy a good eyesight, to be able to comfortably use the forum. The colour scheme used, is made of the shades of the same colour, and this is not helping in demarching clearly the different parts of the forum. Moreover, the chosen colour is almost white greatly increasing eye stress and fatigue. Note that a white background and any shade appromixating white, is far from ideal as a background.

Please provide an alternative.
Thanks.
>>

Howdy edbarx,

As others have mentioned there are various ways to customise styles. The ease of which largely depend on your browser. As i use 'opera' i can toggle between user and author mode along with setting a path to a local style sheet. Which will over-ride the default style used by the page i'm viewing.

A person just needs to take an appropriate page from their cache and set styles that suit themselves for the layout constructs. Then select that as the style sheet to use in 'user' mode.

And there is the percentile values that can be used for fonts of course.

Why tiny fonts always seem to be the default on most pages really escapes me at times. It seems a bit insensitive to the real world. On my 19 inch Flat LCD the default here is like --- really small. So i have it set to 150% at the moment in 'author' mode. Small fonts are something that tend to really irritate me at time, and is about the only real gripe i think of first (grin)

As for 'the images,etc' being on the left --- a total none issue. Just style it out if you must.

What would be useful though -=- would be an 'icon' or some image/thing that indicated that there have been new posts made to the thread ... :) :wink:

jm
http://counter.li.org

-=- The FVWM wm -=- http://www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...

BioTube

#75 Post by BioTube »

And you can now choose subsilver2. From the userCP.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

bugsbunny

#76 Post by bugsbunny »

jjmac wrote: What would be useful though -=- would be an 'icon' or some image/thing that indicated that there have been new posts made to the thread ... :) :wink:
jm
Already exists. Check the color of the icon to the left of the thread/forum. I get it red when there's something new.

jjmac

#77 Post by jjmac »

Howdy bugs,

bugsbunny wrote:
>>
>>>>
jjmac wrote:What would be useful though -=- would be an 'icon' or some image/thing that indicated that there have been new posts made to the thread ... :) :wink:
jm
>>>>

Already exists. Check the color of the icon to the left of the thread/forum. I get it red when there's something new.
>>

I run every thing through 'privoxy' which filters images/banners and other things (sites). I also use 'opera' in user mode. Mainly to deal with font size issues by using a customised css file. And i turn java script off as well (grin).

But with the proxy turned off, java script turned on, and in author mode i don't get any indications that there are new posts in a thread --- on the 'index' page. Or in a history list of threads i've posted to. I do get the red icon in the actual thread though, next to the heading part of new posts. But ... i have to actually go to the thread to see that. And when i have, i can tell which is a new post and which isn't. As the new posts will be 'post' my own :).

An actual indicater on the index page next to the thread heading, to show there have been posts after the one i made, would save me a lot of time navigating around the site. The same holds true for a history list on posts.

This is also one of the sites i have configured 'privoxy' to accept all cookies from as well.

:)

jm

gnudude

#78 Post by gnudude »

jjmac wrote:An actual indicater on the index page next to the thread heading, to show there have been posts after the one i made, would save me a lot of time navigating around the site.
bugsbunny wrote: Already exists. Check the color of the icon to the left of the thread/forum. I get it red when there's something new.

gnudude

#79 Post by gnudude »

jjmac wrote: Mainly to deal with font size issues...
uh you do know that browsers have the ability to increase the size of the fonts....right....

jjmac

#80 Post by jjmac »

gnudude wrote:
jjmac wrote: Mainly to deal with font size issues...
uh you do know that browsers have the ability to increase the size of the fonts....right....
Yeah (grin), i have greater control over it using style settings though than what's provided using just a simple 'zoom' effect. Which can still leave some instances in question.

jm