Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Installer Etch Beta 3 (was: beta 2)

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Harold

Debian Installer Etch Beta 3 (was: beta 2)

#1 Post by Harold »

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

March 15th, 2006

The Debian Installer team is proud to announce the second beta release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Etch.

Improvements in this release of the installer include:

* base-config has been pensioned off: the installation is now done entirely before the reboot. Finally the entire Debian package installation process runs behind a user-friendly progress bar.

* This new version of the installer uses and installs the 2.6.15 kernel. As a consequence the installer now uses udev instead of discover for hardware detection for 2.6 based installs and supports the initramfs-tools and yaird initrd generators.

* Installations on S/390 are again supported.

* In addition to the architectures that had already made the switch, 2.6 is now the default kernel for alpha, ia64 and Netwinder/CATS (arm).

* The installer will set up /etc/apt/sources.list for the installed system using the codename (etch) rather than the suite (testing) of the release being installed.

* The installed system is set up to use UTF-8 encoding by default.

* For some architectures it is now possible to automatically partition a disk using logical volume management (LVM). Other architectures are expected to be added later.

* Automatically selects gpt disklabel instead of msdos disklabel for disks larger than 2 TB.

* Option to cancel some operations (e.g. DHCP configuration).

* Initial support for Broadcom BCM947XX and Linksys NSLU2 added.

* Improved rescue mode.

* Added the following languages: Icelandic and Kazakh.

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by kink »

Beta 3 has now been released. If you want to help etch be the best version of Debian ever, you can try this to install a new system and report success or trouble to the debian-installer team.

tarcisio

install a new system with the installer

#3 Post by tarcisio »

Can I install Sarge with the new installer ? if yes, how can I get the
installer to test ?
tarcisio praciano-pereira
http://www.sobralmatematica.org

ajdlinux

#4 Post by ajdlinux »

At the moment I believe you can only install Etch, not Sarge, with the installer. If you want to test the installer test Etch as well, it's better than Sarge anyway.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

vit_user

#5 Post by vit_user »

Hello,
I have been trying to install Etch to my laptop previously, but it was problematic due to problems with PCMCIA network cards. Is this problem solved somethow?