Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Retiring from moderation

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Telemachus

Retiring from moderation

#1 Post by Telemachus »

Hi all,

I just wanted to let people know that I will be retiring from moderation here on the forums. My job has been keeping me very busy (boo!), and I've been working very hard at programming outside of my work (yay!), and I simply don't have the time that I used to. I may not be around quite as often, but I'll keep my eyes out for questions where I can be helpful. Also, we are still running a programming study group on IRC. We hold meetings on Sunday afternoons at around 15:00 UTC and all are welcome. (We have switched from Bash to Perl - who knows what we'll do next.)

Thanks, Telemachus
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

Re: Retiring from moderation

#2 Post by Mez »

Tele,

It's been great to have you here on the forums. You'll be missed.

Keep in touch on IRC, and if you ever feel the need to come back, you know where we are - and you'll happily be welcomed back to staff.

Soul Singin'

#3 Post by Soul Singin' »

Telemachus wrote:I just wanted to let people know that I will be retiring from moderation here on the forums.
Telemachus wrote:I may not be around quite as often, but I'll keep my eyes out for questions where I can be helpful.

Hope to see you around every once in a while!
Telemachus wrote:we are still running a programming study group on IRC. We hold meetings on Sunday afternoons at around 15:00 UTC and all are welcome. (We have switched from Bash to Perl - who knows what we'll do next.)

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env perl

use strict ;
use warnings ;

print "\nWhat is the IRC channel for the Perl study group?  " ; 
chomp( my $channel = <STDIN> ) ;

my $response ; 
$response .= "\nI will see you on IRC channel $channel on Sunday at 15:00 UTC.\n" ;
$response .= "\nThanks!,\n" ;
$response .= "- Soul Singin\'\n\n" ; 

print $response ;

Telemachus

#4 Post by Telemachus »

Soul Singin' wrote:

#!/usr/bin/env perl

use strict ;
use warnings ;

print "\nWhat is the IRC channel for the Perl study group?  " ; 
Right, I forgot to mention that: we're on Freenode in #study-group (a little homemade channel, just for our, um, study group).

Here's our "homework": https://gist.github.com/810043
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

dbbolton

#5 Post by dbbolton »

Telemachus wrote:Hi all,

I just wanted to let people know that I will be retiring from moderation here on the forums. My job has been keeping me very busy (boo!), and I've been working very hard at programming outside of my work (yay!), and I simply don't have the time that I used to. I may not be around quite as often, but I'll keep my eyes out for questions where I can be helpful. Also, we are still running a programming study group on IRC. We hold meetings on Sunday afternoons at around 15:00 UTC and all are welcome. (We have switched from Bash to Perl - who knows what we'll do next.)

Thanks, Telemachus
I should check announcements more often (for the deets). On the plus side, the orange name is badass, and the Perl group sounds great (if I can get up early enough).
Soul Singin' wrote:

#!/usr/bin/env perl

# snip #

print $response ;
-l might be useful.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

mojoman

#6 Post by mojoman »

Sorry to hear that you're retiring from moderation. You've been very much appreciated and will be missed as a moderator. Don't stop being a regular.

And I too should probably look at news and announcements a bit more often...
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

dreamcat

#7 Post by dreamcat »

yup thanks telemachus i have gratefully read many of your posts.

frank56

#8 Post by frank56 »

Thanks also, for I don't know how many times you helped me. Frank
Hi! my name if Frank. I have tried before to jump into linux about 8 years ago, but gave up after not being able to get hardware going. Now I will try again, and feel a need to learn to do more from the command line Frank