Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Again, one report per spammer, please!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Absent Minded

Re: Again, one report per spammer, please!

#31 Post by Absent Minded »

nadir wrote:Yes, i think that is the general "history".
(i arrived couple of years later than you, so as far i can tell)

Just a side note: some of the elitists, back then, also offered a lot of patient advise.
You said that yourself: It is different if all one has to offer is a "man man" or if one also offers knowledge/info.

Oh, and another side-note: There also have been a lot of people who helpd and never acted elitist (for example you and bugsbunny).
Some of those mods and the administrative staff believed the guidelines should be followed...

How dare they :-)
Just kidding. Yeah, the _already existing_ guidlines were executed (slightly) less loose, which ended in what you said (dust settlling down).
Some of those fellas had a right to think they were all that, their additions to this forum are missed. I see some here and there or posts on occation that remind me of their knowledge and writing style.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

cynwulf

#32 Post by cynwulf »

There is no issue with people who don't know what they're doing, or people who failed at STFW, the biggest problem in the last few years are the arrogant demanding pricks who treat this forum as some kind of paid 1st line support hotline...

Absent Minded

#33 Post by Absent Minded »

cynwulf wrote:There is no issue with people who don't know what they're doing, or people who failed at STFW, the biggest problem in the last few years are the arrogant demanding pricks who treat this forum as some kind of paid 1st line support hotline...
When I come across those it gets to me some as well. Some of them I manage to ignore, some I remind them this is not a paid support forum and that they need to remember that and treat others with some respect, etc..

Apologies, I didn't mean to pull this thread off topic.

Thanks for the suggestions on handling the spam some of you have made. I sent an e-mail to the team asking we concider one of them after reading up on them.

AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Soapm

#34 Post by Soapm »

nadir wrote:btw: language is a funny thing.
Replace "elitists" with "individualists", you say the same thing but it sounds like a completely different story. Well: for me. (But yeah, some could be quite harsh now and then)
Very good point...

llivv

#35 Post by llivv »

AM no worries about how this thread winds up down or around.
Soapm on page 2 of this thread you focused a lot on the distributor and what's under the cap.
I see your point about a point of reference or lack there of, but on the other hand
things really haven't changed all that much. Most car owners were clueless about what
points and condensers were back in the golden oldies days too.
And today ( as an example of how things have not really changed to much ) instead of
loosening the holddown bolt and twisting the distributor while watching the dwell tach and
getting your 4 degrees off top dead center with the timing light, nowadays we hack at the ecm.
Not much difference there as most don't even know what the ecm is much less what they
might do with it or to it if they did know what it is.
The carb reference is similar. Today instead of replacing the jets one has to
connect the noid lights and set the injectors flow.
Please, don't get me started on alternatives, I've waited too long for too little to come out of production while prices charged for the ancient technologies keep rising outta site.

page 3, Yay !!!
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.