New Anti-Spam measures

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: New Anti-Spam measures

Postby dasein » 2013-04-27 01:31

Over 17,000 actual, honest-to-gawd spam attempts per day????

Seems unlikely.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: New Anti-Spam measures

Postby Mez » 2013-04-27 13:57

dasein wrote:Over 17,000 actual, honest-to-gawd spam attempts per day????

Seems unlikely.


Well, spam "hits". Bots will generally go throguh a process of a few pages before the spam is actually posted (register, update profile, post spam) etc etc - the smart bots will check whether their action is successful - but for the most part - the bots aren't smart - and will just spam the actions at the server - hoping that they're getting through.

So the number given is attempted spam "hits" - whether that be as the initial part of the process or not.
User avatar
Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-04-23 22:04

Re: New Anti-Spam measures

Postby Bulkley » 2013-04-27 17:12

dasein wrote:Over 17,000 actual, honest-to-gawd spam attempts per day????

Seems unlikely.


I believe it. I help moderate another website and it gets hammered. It's bots that do it. As Mez said, the number is attempts, not successes. We would be buried if we did not have a good anti-spam mod. The one that has been added to Debian User Forums has made a big improvement.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 6000
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: New Anti-Spam measures

Postby dasein » 2013-04-27 17:51

Bulkley wrote:We would be buried if we did not have a good anti-spam mod. The one that has been added to Debian User Forums has made a big improvement.

But we didn't have an automatic anti-spam widget in place a month or so ago,and I was part of the small group who fought the problem manually. I can't speak to other venues, but I am confident that FDN did not have anywhere near 17,000 spams per day, not even on the worst day we ever had. It's off by at least one order of magnitude.

The "overcounting" explanation makes much more sense.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: New Anti-Spam measures

Postby Bulkley » 2013-04-27 17:57

dasein wrote:
Bulkley wrote:We would be buried if we did not have a good anti-spam mod. The one that has been added to Debian User Forums has made a big improvement.

But we didn't have an automatic anti-spam widget in place a month or so ago,and I was part of the small group who fought the problem manually. I can't speak to other venues, but I am confident that FDN did not have anywhere near 17,000 spams per day, not even on the worst day we ever had. It's off by at least one order of magnitude.


You dealt with what got by the Captcha. Bots keep trying until they get through. Attempts will always outnumber successes.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 6000
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: New Anti-Spam measures

Postby confuseling » 2013-04-27 18:00

There was always the infamous "middle number" question.

Wrong answers for that would presumably count in that 17,000.

One or two of them might have even been bots... :-)
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: 2009-10-21 01:03

Previous

Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable