Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can I Bumpity-bump??

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
andrewrogers

Can I Bumpity-bump??

#1 Post by andrewrogers »

I'd like to ask you if bumping is okay before I attempt to do so... I'd really like someone awesome to answer a question...
#BOXES
Ivy Bridge 3570K + 32GB of RAM (INTEL 4000)
Core 2 Extreme (X9100!) Latitude E6400 + 8GB of RAM (Quadro NVS 160M)
Northwood P4 Latitude + 1.25GB of RAM (Radeon 7500)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz!) + 1GB of RAM (Radeon 9200)
TiBook G4 + 1GB of RAM (Rad 9200)

saulgoode

Re: Can I Bumpity-bump??

#3 Post by saulgoode »

If you have made a post seeking help and nobody has responded after a day or two, you should seriously consider how your initial post may have been lacking. Did you provide a detailed description of the problem (as opposed to, "it didn't work")? Did you specify the hardware you were running? Did you describe the software (providing links?), along with version numbers? Did you describe what steps you have taken in attempting to resolve the problem?

Occasionally posts do slide down the queue and get missed by people who might be able to respond -- and when this happens, a bump might be in order. There is no hard and fast rule against bumping (other than it IS expected that you wait more than just a few hours), but bear in mind the preceding paragraph, and also be aware that by bumping your thread, you will be removing it from the "unanswered posts" list (which some helpful members regularly visit).
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

Randicus

#4 Post by Randicus »

Of course you can bump. A better question would have been; May I bump? Which saulgoode provided a good answer for.

(I am in the middle of a grammar terrorising crusade at the moment. 8) Carry on. :D )

andrewrogers

#5 Post by andrewrogers »

Randicus wrote:Of course you can bump. A better question would have been; May I bump? Which saulgoode provided a good answer for.

(I am in the middle of a grammar terrorising crusade at the moment. 8) Carry on. :D )
I see what you did there. :wink:
#BOXES

emariz

#6 Post by emariz »

The noise-ratio here is so low that a new thread stays in the first page of the chosen section for days, even weeks. Why would be the benefit of moving a thread five lines up? Not to mention that many users simply ignore "bumped" threads.
Randicus wrote:I am in the middle of a grammar terrorising crusade at the moment.
Chinese people are weird.

Randicus

#7 Post by Randicus »

I am definitely weird, but I do not remember going through a physical metamorphosis, so I do not believe I am Chinese yet.

thanatos_incarnate

#8 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

There are non-intrusive ways to bump. For instance, you might have started off with a very
meager post about your problem. Then, days later, you have acquired some more info
through e.g. logs or whatever other means. Share those instead the usual "BUMP!" or
"Hellooooo! Y nobody answer?"

Of course, bumping once might be tolerable. Bumping more than once might be considered spam.

ComputerBob

#9 Post by ComputerBob »

Randicus wrote:...I do not remember going through a physical metamorphosis, so I do not believe I am Chinese yet.
That's exactly how they get you.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Randicus

#10 Post by Randicus »

I thought it was by putting chemicals in the dumplings. :lol:

ComputerBob

#11 Post by ComputerBob »

I suspect that the process may be similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Randicus

#12 Post by Randicus »

YouTube?
You will need to describe the process. YouTube is banned here, because it is a tool used by foreign elements to foment rebellion in a country where everyone is happy and loyal to the government. (That is what the Beijing government says, and they are sticking to their story.)

ComputerBob

#13 Post by ComputerBob »

My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Randicus

#14 Post by Randicus »

I remember that song. :D

andrewrogers

#15 Post by andrewrogers »

Randicus wrote:YouTube?
You will need to describe the process. YouTube is banned here, because it is a tool used by foreign elements to foment rebellion in a country where everyone is happy and loyal to the government. (That is what the Beijing government says, and they are sticking to their story.)
You're in China? Are you native to there? Your English is superb! No signs of Chinglish whatsoever. :wink:

I'm near another capital, myself. I live not too far North of the District of Columbia, myself. My Chinese neighbors from Shanghai speak Mandrin. :wink: Most Chinese people I've met have expressed the same general sentiment: they love China but hate its ruling body... Can't blame them, especially after many showdowns with tanks.

Do they let the kids watch SpongeBob there?
#BOXES

Randicus

#16 Post by Randicus »

You're in China? Are you native to there?
No.
My Chinese neighbors from Shanghai speak Mandrin.
That is probably because the government forced them to learn Mandarin. Their mother tongue is most likely the Wu language (Shanghaiese).
Can't blame them, especially after many showdowns with tanks.
I only know of one. Criticism is usually crushed with police and soldiers. Tanks draw too much international attention.
I hope not. :D

andrewrogers

#17 Post by andrewrogers »

Randicus wrote:
You're in China? Are you native to there?
No.
My Chinese neighbors from Shanghai speak Mandrin.
That is probably because the government forced them to learn Mandarin. Their mother tongue is most likely the Wu language (Shanghaiese).
Can't blame them, especially after many showdowns with tanks.
I only know of one. Criticism is usually crushed with police and soldiers. Tanks draw too much international attention.
I hope not. :D
Lol where are you originally from? I would love to learn some form of Chinese at some point. They are rapidly catching up to the US and in some ways surpassing it in terms of the quality of life, well at least in my most valued metric (internet speed). I am also impressed by their use of open source software and their Loongson CPU's. (I want one of those fully-open machines soooo bad!)

How do they deal with criticisms of their government from non-Chinese visitors or citizens dwelling within their borders?
#BOXES

Randicus

#18 Post by Randicus »

Lol where are you originally from?
Canada, with a short stint in Australia.
They are rapidly catching up to the US and in some ways surpassing it in terms of the quality of life, well at least in my most valued metric (internet speed).
:shock: Internet is excruciatingly slow, unless one pays for a high-speed connection (which is expensive).
I am also impressed by their use of open source software
I am not. Almost all Chinese believe Windows is the only operating system. In eight years, I have yet to meet anyone who uses Linux.
How do they deal with criticisms of their government from non-Chinese visitors or citizens dwelling within their borders?
Criticising the government is a crime. Speaking too much about politics or religion would get a person deported. Or more accurately, the person's visa would not be renewed. I am more concerned with the visa procedures. An unbelievable pain in the ass.

andrewrogers

#19 Post by andrewrogers »

Randicus wrote:
Lol where are you originally from?
Canada, with a short stint in Australia.
They are rapidly catching up to the US and in some ways surpassing it in terms of the quality of life, well at least in my most valued metric (internet speed).
:shock: Internet is excruciatingly slow, unless one pays for a high-speed connection (which is expensive).
I am also impressed by their use of open source software
I am not. Almost all Chinese believe Windows is the only operating system. In eight years, I have yet to meet anyone who uses Linux.
Criticising the government is a crime. Speaking too much about politics or religion would get a person deported. Or more accurately, the person's visa would not be renewed. I am more concerned with the visa procedures. An unbelievable pain in the ass.
Wow. It's amazing how many misconceptions I have, lol.

Have you ever encountered any Loongson machines?
#BOXES

Randicus

#20 Post by Randicus »

Have you ever encountered any Loongson machines?
What are they? Computers?
Obviously, if I have run into them, I did not notice. I have had a run-in with a really big centipede though.