Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Too Many Stickies

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
craig_sillva

Too Many Stickies

#1 Post by craig_sillva »

Browsing these forums in Tapatalk made me realize how many stickies and announcements these forums have. I have to scroll down about 4 pages before getting to any new content. Consider Beginners forums:

Top post is "Debian Users Forum Registration Agreement (reference) ", which doesn't actually belong there, it belongs on the registration page. You could always include a link to it amongst one of the other stickied/annoucements threads.

Second is "Please Read, What we expect you to have already done", which is a good one, and ought to stay.

Third is "Preferred method spam reporting? " a poll, from back in 2009. Just delete this.

Fourth is "How to Help Someone use a Computer" which is a great post, but not for a beginner forum, where people come to ask questions.

Then you have four stickied posts, which are all basically on the same subject,

Helpful Debian Links (could be put into Please read)
Tips from our Members (could be put into please read)
Beginner's Guide (good sticky for this forum)
Ever wonder why your post isn't getting answered? (could be put into Beginner's guide)
Debian 7.0 on Lenovo Thinkpad SL410

Bulkley

Re: Too Many Stickies

#2 Post by Bulkley »

You might have a point but I never noticed. I always use View active topics.

Absent Minded

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

craig_sillva wrote:Browsing these forums in Tapatalk made me realize how many stickies and announcements these forums have. I have to scroll down about 4 pages before getting to any new content. Consider Beginners forums:

Top post is "Debian Users Forum Registration Agreement (reference) ", which doesn't actually belong there, it belongs on the registration page. You could always include a link to it amongst one of the other stickied/annoucements threads.

Second is "Please Read, What we expect you to have already done", which is a good one, and ought to stay.

Third is "Preferred method spam reporting? " a poll, from back in 2009. Just delete this.

Fourth is "How to Help Someone use a Computer" which is a great post, but not for a beginner forum, where people come to ask questions.

Then you have four stickied posts, which are all basically on the same subject,

Helpful Debian Links (could be put into Please read)
Tips from our Members (could be put into please read)
Beginner's Guide (good sticky for this forum)
Ever wonder why your post isn't getting answered? (could be put into Beginner's guide)
The registration information is on the registration page. Many however tend to forget after a while just what it was they agreed to. Putting a referance in the Beginners section seemed a reasonable place as I had been asked multiple times at one point where to find the information and it seems on the registration page was the only place it was displayed and you would have to start the registraton prosess to read it again.

I have at times concidered that there are too many anouncments, stickies and the like. While it has been concidered to try and condence them, no real good solution for things being actually read has been really figured out. Unless it is a how-to, many don't want to read something that gets too long and keeping them broken up helps eliviate that just a little.

Many of those topics were written by different members including staff, if they were merged, those people could loose credit for their contributions unless each thing was noted in some fassion. To me, each member here is important for their unique contribution to this forum. It doesn't matter if it is a question or an answer for with out the one there is no need for the other and they, togeather, make this forum a valuable place of information.

I am open to suggestions and if they are good enough, I believe the rest of the staff would be willing to concider them.

AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

craig_sillva wrote:Browsing these forums in Tapatalk made me realize how many stickies and announcements these forums have. I have to scroll down about 4 pages before getting to any new content.
In tapatalk settings you can disable stickies that have been already read.