I found your forum doppelganger

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

I found your forum doppelganger

Postby jzdudek » 2013-12-19 17:37

In the process of troubleshooting a graphics problem, I did an internet search using, among other terms, the keywords: debian, user, forums, and located another forum that bears an uncanny resemblance to this one: http://www.debianuserforums.org. What's the relationship between the two, if any?
jzdudek
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2013-12-08 03:35

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby dasein » 2013-12-19 18:09

Think of DUF as a "fork" of FDN. ;)
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby Randicus » 2013-12-20 08:51

another forum that bears an uncanny resemblance to this one
Might be because they are both fora of Debian users? Now that I have pointed out the obvious, :twisted: the short story is that many DFN members (most of the knowledgeable ones) left and started DUF. This board is still strong, but lacking knowledgeable members. (Most have left.) DUF has faded to the point of being in danger.
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby llivv » 2013-12-20 09:41

dasein wrote:Think of DUF as a "fork" of FDN. ;)

or maybe a
pitchfork

:lol:
in the kitchen with Julia
The Past, Christmas Present and Future
Get on the Dbus to Bcan
User avatar
llivv
 
Posts: 5634
Joined: 2007-02-14 18:10
Location: cold storage

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby golinux » 2013-12-20 23:57

Some history. IIRC DUF was started as a result of this controversy.

"Free Cynwulf now" -- an analogy
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=59929

Justice was served, an apology to the forum members
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59842

And a few months later . . .

The Decline of this Forum
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=67232
May the FORK be with you!
User avatar
golinux
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: 2010-12-09 00:56
Location: not a 'buntard!

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby Birdy » 2013-12-21 02:15

forums.debian.net is abandandoned.
As long you don't consider a post which says "please set your thread as solved" as administration.
Me shitting, you say? Front page, click on "the team" at the bottom of the page. Ever see any of those people? Are they still alive at all?

Will forums.debian.net recover? I doubt it. The remaining few staff members still got enough nuncupate will to keep out anyone worth it
(In a shithole it really ain't no big problem if a dump is dropped in the wrong corner).
You can't blame them for it, btw. They are volunteers and destroyed this forum in their free time. You can't expect any more from volunteers (they did their best to destroy it, then vanished in voluneer's nirvana).
(i could point out that Debian is done by volunteers too ... let's not be confusing).

-
"The internet is seriously broken" dude from irc, to me.
^^ That. But at least there is free porn'n stuff.

"It was nearly a magical place"
telemachus

Let's hope i didn't answer you question.
Birdy
 
Posts: 358
Joined: 2013-05-28 13:26

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby Randicus » 2013-12-21 03:19

Not completely abandoned. Mez shows up every March for a week or two and makes as many as half-a-dozen posts! :shock:
That is the yearly celebration of forum bliss and Mez glorification.
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby vbrummond » 2013-12-21 08:22

I am still here, hello. :)
System: Retina 5K iMac, 27-inch, Late 2015 - Intel i5-6600 3.3ghz, 8gb RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
OS: Mac OS 10.12
vbrummond
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: 2010-03-02 01:42

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby Randicus » 2013-12-21 09:34

I am still here, hello. :)

Sorry I am rarely around, I work most days.
Having to work for a living sucks, doesn't it? :cry:
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby llivv » 2013-12-22 03:57

this thread brings back sweet memories from day of yore.
seasons greetings, yall
in the kitchen with Julia
The Past, Christmas Present and Future
Get on the Dbus to Bcan
User avatar
llivv
 
Posts: 5634
Joined: 2007-02-14 18:10
Location: cold storage

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby golinux » 2013-12-22 04:02

Happy solstice!

(Thankfully the yearly rituals that follow will soon be over . . .)
May the FORK be with you!
User avatar
golinux
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: 2010-12-09 00:56
Location: not a 'buntard!

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby vbrummond » 2013-12-22 07:30

Randicus wrote:Having to work for a living sucks, doesn't it? :cry:

No, having to work 9 days in a row does.
System: Retina 5K iMac, 27-inch, Late 2015 - Intel i5-6600 3.3ghz, 8gb RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
OS: Mac OS 10.12
vbrummond
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: 2010-03-02 01:42

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby saulgoode » 2013-12-22 12:13

Birdy wrote:forums.debian.net is abandandoned.
As long you don't consider a post which says "please set your thread as solved" as administration.
... Front page, click on "the team" at the bottom of the page. Ever see any of those people? Are they still alive at all?

In the case of forum administration, it is misguided to conclude that a lack of evidence of activity is equivalent to evidence of a lack of activity. Over the past three days, the logs show over 130 actions taken by 10 different members of "the team". This quick sampling is typical of what is done on a daily basis by members of the forum staff. Hardly what one would expect from people who weren't "still alive" or who lacked interest in maintaining the forum.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan
User avatar
saulgoode
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: 2007-10-22 11:34

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby Birdy » 2013-12-22 15:50

saulgoode wrote:
Birdy wrote:forums.debian.net is abandandoned.
As long you don't consider a post which says "please set your thread as solved" as administration.
... Front page, click on "the team" at the bottom of the page. Ever see any of those people? Are they still alive at all?

In the case of forum administration, it is misguided to conclude that a lack of evidence of activity is equivalent to evidence of a lack of activity. Over the past three days, the logs show over 130 actions taken by 10 different members of "the team". This quick sampling is typical of what is done on a daily basis by members of the forum staff. Hardly what one would expect from people who weren't "still alive" or who lacked interest in maintaining the forum.

You know better.
Two moderators resigned and that was completely ignored by the top level forum administration. One of those two was craigevil, the other was you.
You know it, i know it, and i got no idea why you try to hide that fact.
I for one know at minimum of a third administrator who said he doesn't want to go on, and it was completely ignored too (He didn't say it in public, so i won't do it neither).

I didn't deny that just something is getting done. If you consider just doing something as doing it good, then i have to disagree.
quantity is not quality.
Birdy
 
Posts: 358
Joined: 2013-05-28 13:26

Re: I found your forum doppelganger

Postby Randicus » 2013-12-23 03:10

saulgoode wrote:In the case of forum administration, it is misguided to conclude that a lack of evidence of activity is equivalent to evidence of a lack of activity.

Username Joined Posts
1 Mez 24 Apr 2009 224
2 Ganneff 01 Mar 2012 1

I am not presumptuous enough to speak for others, but I my mind, when the people in charge ignore the board, for all intents and purposes, it is abandoned. Mez makes half-a-dozen posts every March and this Ganneff person has only made one post, ever. Ask anyone who has sent a PM to any of the top dogs if their PMs have received replies. They either ignore messages or never "bother" to check. In other words, they completely ignore the board they are supposedly in charge of.

Some of the lower level "staff" do participate and conduct administrative duties. As much as their efforts are appreciated, the fact is, the helmsmen have abandoned the rudder and are holed up in their cabins, while the people taking care of the board are bailing water from the sinking ship.

My guess is, now that the 100,000 spam accounts have been removed, when Mez returns in March he will remove the "administrator's" power to delete accounts and return them to moderator status.
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Next

Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

fashionable