Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
xetaprime

Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

#1 Post by xetaprime »

Am I wrong or was my how to removed. Why? I wrote a pretty nice how to, with a disclaimer. If I hadn't put the disclaimer people would have told me to. Because I mixed distros? No notice that it would be removed? Yeah, there were two posts slightly slamming me and I was polite and even wrote peace.

Of course maybe I booted into a different reality where people can't tinker and share the joy. I mean you let people install unstable.

Peace again, Xeta

dasein

Re: Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

#2 Post by dasein »

Read the fscking Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSoftware

(Moved from HOWTOs to Forum Stuff)

Peace.

xetaprime

#3 Post by xetaprime »

Hmm what is the Fscking Wiki? Did look at the Debian Wiki. Didn't see anything there that said I couldn't post my how to. Also I didn't mention using any illegal software. I could see a glitch of incompatibility, but I'm not seeing any problem here. And as I wrote after Enlightenment was in I commented out the repos. So what is so wrong? Okay I'll google fscking wiki :wink: And if you meant the F*cking wiki, that's just, not nice and I can think of other things to say. I've been a Linux user since 1998 but that doesn't stop me from exploring- seeing what works and what doesn't.

Xeta

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

You actually have to read the Wiki page I pointed you to. Whining is not enough.

Peace.

llivv

#5 Post by llivv »

The problem is you don't see a problem.

And you think you're running Debian and Debian stable.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 02#p520802

If you want to post a howto use ubuntu there is a ubuntu forum for that.
Last edited by llivv on 2014-03-12 18:30, edited 2 times in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

confuseling

#6 Post by confuseling »

Pretty much *anything it's possible to install* depends in some way on libc6.

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libc6

'Upgrade' Debian's libc6 to Ubuntu's, which is not binary compatible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_code_compatibility

and things will go wrong.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

xetaprime

#7 Post by xetaprime »

But I didn't upgrade my libc6 from Ubuntu repos. It was from Jessie. Elightenment was Ubuntu or for Ubuntu and it's working great going on 2 days. This also worked on Debian testing without having to upgrade Libc6. So all I installed was E18. But I just wanted the stable instead.

Have a great day everyone. I think you all need to chill. You'd think I was running as root or something :wink:

confuseling

#8 Post by confuseling »

My mistake. That makes it fractionally better.

But you're still suggesting a Frankenstein's Distro of Wheezy, Jessie and Ubuntu. It's not going to be pretty...
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

llivv wrote:The problem is you don't see a problem.
This.

@OP -> Don't let this experience discourage you from posting all the bad advice you like. Just start your own blog.

xetaprime

#10 Post by xetaprime »

dasein, dasein, dasein LOL! Just start your own blog! Thanx man, I needed that laugh.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

xetaprime, are you available and willing to help anybody that has followed your guide and ended up with problems with their system? Can you remove and reinstall libc6-dev?

Did you see this in the wiki:
Backporting (recompiling and repackaging) is the only safe way to install packages from Debian Sid or Debian Testing on a Debian stable system. Do not install such packages without backporting. Attempting to "mix" releases, especially by updating your sources.list file, is a sure way to break your system. Recovery in these cases usually involves restore from backup.
I do a lot of packaging for a non-Debian, but Wheezy-compatible community repository, and I sometimes recommend that people try my Wine packages, for example. But I build them against Debian libraries using the Debian tool chain, installed from the Debian repositories, so I know that they are compatible.

If you really want to help with Enlightenment 18, I can help you make packages that are Wheezy-compatible, and you can add them to our repository or just host them someplace. That's the right way to do it.
MX Linux packager and developer

Absent Minded

#12 Post by Absent Minded »

xetaprime wrote: I mean you let people install unstable.

Peace again, Xeta
Stable, testing, unstable, extream edge, yep, but we dont mix them with eachother here either. How many hands are you going to stick around to hold and walk them back threw repairing the damage they are going to have on the next system wide update? Did you completely discuss topics like pinning or the 3 or 4 other measures needed to keep that system from braking on the first update? Guess where those poor folks are going to turn when they need theis system overhauled because of this? Yep, you got it, here as that is where they found the how-to. Yes, it is going to break, how soon, depends on a varity of things but it will brake and I am going to lay odds that it wont be you here helping them get it sorted. That leaves the rest of us picking up your mess. Not interested. Note Debian's own statement so kindly provided by another caring soul earlier in this thread. If you break your own system, hey, you get to keep all the pieces. If you break someone elses, not cool! I have seen it countless times here, that setup does break things, eventually.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

edbarx

#13 Post by edbarx »

For the purpose of loading quickly, it appears, that Linux executables don't use imported function names to link with libraries. I came to the impression that Linux executables expect to find imported functions at the address where they reside inside the function library. This may be the reason why different versions of the same library are not interchangeable. However, I may be wrong as I practice programming only as a past time.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

Absent Minded wrote:Note Debian's own statement so kindly provided by another caring soul earlier in this thread.
Purely pedantic point: two souls; I pointed him to it... twice. I guess I just figured that someone of his vast experience and expertise didn't need to have it cut-and-paste for him. (Clearly I was mistaken.)
(Edit: fixed broken
tag)
Last edited by dasein on 2014-03-13 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Absent Minded

#15 Post by Absent Minded »

dasein wrote:
Absent Minded wrote:Note Debian's own statement so kindly provided by another caring soul earlier in this thread.
Purely pedantic point: two souls; I pointed him to it... twice. I guess I just figured that someone of his vast experience and expertise didn't need to have it cut-and-paste for him. (Clearly I was mistaken.)
It was not my intent to discount your contrabution to this thread.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

tomazzi

#16 Post by tomazzi »

edbarx wrote:For the purpose of loading quickly, it appears, that Linux executables don't use imported function names to link with libraries. I came to the impression that Linux executables expect to find imported functions at the address where they reside inside the function library. This may be the reason why different versions of the same library are not interchangeable. However, I may be wrong as I practice programming only as a past time.
Yes, You are right, but there is a way for programmers to "manually" do the "dynamic linking" ( :) ), using linker api:
http://linux.die.net/man/3/dlopen
Of course, this solution needs more effort to implement (it depends on how many libs and functions the program is using). It's also possible to "manually" link only part of the libs - this is the Gnu/Linux world: no limits :)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

xetaprime

#17 Post by xetaprime »

stevepusser » 2014-03-13 04:32
xetaprime, are you available and willing to help anybody that has followed your guide and ended up with problems with their system? Can you remove and reinstall libc6-dev?

Is my guide still up? I thought it was taken down. It did include a disclaimer so I figure, yeah proceed with caution but of course I would be available to help.

I really do get a kick though out of all the controversy. Let's start with the fact that my system is working fine. Will it last? IDK. I can't tell you how many times I've installed versions of the top ten distros only to be so buggy I left for another. That said I did have a problem last night. Thought I messed up my graphics installing ATI and almost reinstalled, but it was a simple click in the new E18 composite windows full screen yada I wasn't aware of. Luckily someone on Arch was having the same problems.

Here's my bottom line. If my system works, it works. Next week if it goes wonky I'll reinstall my remastered stable e17 which incidentally, the e17 was from jessie.

I can't believe that everyone is so uptight. Seriously. I didn't see anything in the wiki that forbid me to do what I've done. Warning that there might/will be problems? Fine. Pretty happy with my system. Seems to me it's y'all who are the ones whining and shivering at the thought of upgrading a wheezy lib with a jessie. And you know what? Then never attempt such a thing. I'm sorry I've tread on your sensibilities and pushed yer buttons. Hey, we're gonna do what we're gonna do- or not. M

My second bottom line is I love Debian. So there :D

Absent Minded

#18 Post by Absent Minded »

xetaprime wrote:stevepusser » 2014-03-13 04:32

Is my guide still up? I thought it was taken down. It did include a disclaimer so I figure, yeah proceed with caution but of course I would be available to help.

I really do get a kick though out of all the controversy. Let's start with the fact that my system is working fine. Will it last? IDK. I can't tell you how many times I've installed versions of the top ten distros only to be so buggy I left for another. That said I did have a problem last night. Thought I messed up my graphics installing ATI and almost reinstalled, but it was a simple click in the new E18 composite windows full screen yada I wasn't aware of. Luckily someone on Arch was having the same problems.

Here's my bottom line. If my system works, it works. Next week if it goes wonky I'll reinstall my remastered stable e17 which incidentally, the e17 was from jessie.

I can't believe that everyone is so uptight. Seriously. I didn't see anything in the wiki that forbid me to do what I've done. Warning that there might/will be problems? Fine. Pretty happy with my system. Seems to me it's y'all who are the ones whining and shivering at the thought of upgrading a wheezy lib with a jessie. And you know what? Then never attempt such a thing. I'm sorry I've tread on your sensibilities and pushed yer buttons. Hey, we're gonna do what we're gonna do- or not. M

My second bottom line is I love Debian. So there :D
Is one thing for someone to break their own system, is another to promote something that is known to break someone elses system. I have had my own fun as well but I don't recomend things to others that will eventually brake their system.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Sorry, there is a right way: backports. That's it. I'm currently investigating backporting E18 to Wheezy, that's the right way to do it.
MX Linux packager and developer

Randicus

#20 Post by Randicus »

xetaprime wrote:Here's my bottom line. If my system works, it works. Next week if it goes wonky I'll reinstall
If you need to re-install your system, is it working? :roll:
I really do get a kick though out of all the controversy. Let's start with the fact that my system is working fine. Will it last? IDK.
Your system is working, but you do not know for how long. And you believe it is appropriate to advise others to screw around with a system they expect to be stable?
I can't tell you how many times I've installed versions of the top ten distros only to be so buggy I left for another.
Many times you have installed various distros and they were "buggy". :?
Were all those systems buggy or did you screw them up?