Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
tomazzi

Re: Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

#16 Post by tomazzi »

edbarx wrote:For the purpose of loading quickly, it appears, that Linux executables don't use imported function names to link with libraries. I came to the impression that Linux executables expect to find imported functions at the address where they reside inside the function library. This may be the reason why different versions of the same library are not interchangeable. However, I may be wrong as I practice programming only as a past time.
Yes, You are right, but there is a way for programmers to "manually" do the "dynamic linking" ( :) ), using linker api:
http://linux.die.net/man/3/dlopen
Of course, this solution needs more effort to implement (it depends on how many libs and functions the program is using). It's also possible to "manually" link only part of the libs - this is the Gnu/Linux world: no limits :)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

xetaprime

#17 Post by xetaprime »

stevepusser » 2014-03-13 04:32
xetaprime, are you available and willing to help anybody that has followed your guide and ended up with problems with their system? Can you remove and reinstall libc6-dev?

Is my guide still up? I thought it was taken down. It did include a disclaimer so I figure, yeah proceed with caution but of course I would be available to help.

I really do get a kick though out of all the controversy. Let's start with the fact that my system is working fine. Will it last? IDK. I can't tell you how many times I've installed versions of the top ten distros only to be so buggy I left for another. That said I did have a problem last night. Thought I messed up my graphics installing ATI and almost reinstalled, but it was a simple click in the new E18 composite windows full screen yada I wasn't aware of. Luckily someone on Arch was having the same problems.

Here's my bottom line. If my system works, it works. Next week if it goes wonky I'll reinstall my remastered stable e17 which incidentally, the e17 was from jessie.

I can't believe that everyone is so uptight. Seriously. I didn't see anything in the wiki that forbid me to do what I've done. Warning that there might/will be problems? Fine. Pretty happy with my system. Seems to me it's y'all who are the ones whining and shivering at the thought of upgrading a wheezy lib with a jessie. And you know what? Then never attempt such a thing. I'm sorry I've tread on your sensibilities and pushed yer buttons. Hey, we're gonna do what we're gonna do- or not. M

My second bottom line is I love Debian. So there :D

Absent Minded

#18 Post by Absent Minded »

xetaprime wrote:stevepusser » 2014-03-13 04:32
xetaprime, are you available and willing to help anybody that has followed your guide and ended up with problems with their system? Can you remove and reinstall libc6-dev?

Is my guide still up? I thought it was taken down. It did include a disclaimer so I figure, yeah proceed with caution but of course I would be available to help.

I really do get a kick though out of all the controversy. Let's start with the fact that my system is working fine. Will it last? IDK. I can't tell you how many times I've installed versions of the top ten distros only to be so buggy I left for another. That said I did have a problem last night. Thought I messed up my graphics installing ATI and almost reinstalled, but it was a simple click in the new E18 composite windows full screen yada I wasn't aware of. Luckily someone on Arch was having the same problems.

Here's my bottom line. If my system works, it works. Next week if it goes wonky I'll reinstall my remastered stable e17 which incidentally, the e17 was from jessie.

I can't believe that everyone is so uptight. Seriously. I didn't see anything in the wiki that forbid me to do what I've done. Warning that there might/will be problems? Fine. Pretty happy with my system. Seems to me it's y'all who are the ones whining and shivering at the thought of upgrading a wheezy lib with a jessie. And you know what? Then never attempt such a thing. I'm sorry I've tread on your sensibilities and pushed yer buttons. Hey, we're gonna do what we're gonna do- or not. M

My second bottom line is I love Debian. So there :D
Is one thing for someone to break their own system, is another to promote something that is known to break someone elses system. I have had my own fun as well but I don't recomend things to others that will eventually brake their system.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Sorry, there is a right way: backports. That's it. I'm currently investigating backporting E18 to Wheezy, that's the right way to do it.
MX Linux packager and developer

Randicus

#20 Post by Randicus »

xetaprime wrote:Here's my bottom line. If my system works, it works. Next week if it goes wonky I'll reinstall
If you need to re-install your system, is it working? :roll:
I really do get a kick though out of all the controversy. Let's start with the fact that my system is working fine. Will it last? IDK.
Your system is working, but you do not know for how long. And you believe it is appropriate to advise others to screw around with a system they expect to be stable?
I can't tell you how many times I've installed versions of the top ten distros only to be so buggy I left for another.
Many times you have installed various distros and they were "buggy". :?
Were all those systems buggy or did you screw them up?

xetaprime

#21 Post by xetaprime »

Wow LOL. If I wanted to play it safe I never would have picked up my first copy of Turbo Linux in I think, 1998 and I'd still be using Windows. If I put a disclaimer Proceed at your own risk then obviously there's an alert there. Do it, don't do it whatever. It's a choice. I love the presumption that those buggy systems were my fault. I suppose everyone who has ever reported a bug in any system, it was their fault.

Apparently drama is all you are into because it's a non issue. I posted a howto that's working for me and only wanted to share. I didn't post it in order to spend my time yapping here so have at it without me. And you know, it saddens me because to me Linux is Freedom. Freedom to choose. But make no mistake if I come up with another howto I care to share I'll post it and you can delete it who knows :D

To all other users who haven't slammed me Be Excellent to each other. Best, Xeta

Randicus

#22 Post by Randicus »

xetaprime has supposedly withdrawn from the thread, but what the hell.
xetaprime wrote:I love the presumption that those buggy systems were my fault.
What presumption? A question was asked. Were all those systems buggy or did the user do something to screw each of them up?
I suppose everyone who has ever reported a bug in any system, it was their fault.
And precisely how did you come to that conclusion?
I posted a howto that's working for me and only wanted to share.
No problems after a day or two does not mean there are no problems. Wait until after (attempting) an update or two. I have had experiences where everything was working fine, until after a re-boot.
I didn't post it in order to spend my time yapping here so have at it without me.
In other words, no one is entitled to question or criticise what you post. If you do not like criticism, do not post anything. That is something called maturity.
And you know, it saddens me because to me Linux is Freedom. Freedom to choose.
Everyone is free to gawk in amazement at your superior ability, but the idiots should never question the expert.

xetaprime

#23 Post by xetaprime »

Ha, had to check in :? Thought I could stay away. Oh well. Funny stuff continues...

It wasn't a question. It was an assumption that I had done something wrong. But please feel free to keep at it. I'm sure you will and I'll try to find the time to care.

Best, Xeta

llivv

#24 Post by llivv »

xetaprime wrote:But I didn't upgrade my libc6 from Ubuntu repos. It was from Jessie. Elightenment was Ubuntu or for Ubuntu and it's working great going on 2 days. This also worked on Debian testing without having to upgrade Libc6. So all I installed was E18. But I just wanted the stable instead.

Have a great day everyone. I think you all need to chill. You'd think I was running as root or something :wink:
sigh
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Randicus

#25 Post by Randicus »

llivv wrote:sigh
You should consider investing some surfing time into finding a good sighing photograph or animated image. (Maybe you can install one from Ubuntu's repos. :lol: )

llivv

#26 Post by llivv »

Randicus wrote:Ubuntu's repos. :lol: )
I will have to look into making a sigh icon that when clicked on fluxs the entire interwebs.
neo

hold onto your hats
a dd now wants exynos drm/dri support enabled.
does your tablet/smarthphone have an exynos processor?

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

For what it's worth, I do have Enlightenment 18.2 backported and running on top of a 64-bit Wheezy-base, now just have to finish up the separate applications, such as the terminal and such. It does not seem to play well with kdm when logging out though, so will look at lightdm.

xetaprime

#28 Post by xetaprime »

As a tip for you, in case you find videos won't play in full screen mode, go into composite advanced rendering and uncheck - Don't composite full screen windows. Seems others are having the same problem. Lightdm is working well here :D

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

xetaprime wrote:As a tip for you, in case you find videos won't play in full screen mode, go into composite advanced rendering and uncheck - Don't composite full screen windows. Seems others are having the same problem. Lightdm is working well here :D
No, my video driver worked with that setting...but I see edeb is broken on my build--from what I see of the code, it should not work for you, either.

Absent Minded

#30 Post by Absent Minded »

Almost all of us here play on the edge at times for diferent reasons. Many times is just to check out some cool new feature in the latest program we favior. I remember a few years back braking my system over something stupid ... all for instant messaging. Unfortunantly using a difrent libc6 can really creat kayos which I had to do for what I was trying. I should have listend to others and back-ported it properly but since I was running testing at the time that had "just" became stable I figured what the heck, I will grab the new one from Sid. The thing is, there are many things that need done to keep that system running after a while. Some stuff I almost never used but found whith the new libc6 they wouldn't work. Eventually trying to fix things I ended up reinstalling because my programing skills are not what they needed to be. Yes, the system still booted but many things I needed would no longer work. Also, installing anything from ubuntu is not a good idea and even suttleworth himself remindseveryone ubuntu is not any longer compatable with Debian. Steve is definantly an excellent source when it comes to knowing just how and if one can backport something to stable.

The problem is, if someone reads this is how to do xyz, they antisapate that if they do it right in the future they will be in the clear with no problems. My system worked great for several months with the small little updates and I was ubber careful reading everything. Most don't even read what the new updates are let alone see just what affects what. Is a poor practice to give someone this kind of advice. Maybe we should have a new sub-forum for doing things that will break your system eventually but are fun and exciting. Maybe you would volinteer to help repair the damage since it is such a kick to play? Many pick Debian because it is the most stable. That is what they expect. Even testing is more stable (usually) than ubuntu's "stable" release. However you are adding stuff not even compiled for Debian in this not just taking the risk of adding something from testing or Sid. Things will break fast if you are not paying very close attention to what you are doing. I encurage everyone to play a little, that is how we learn but do it on a box that it doesn't matter if it goes down for the count.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

xetaprime

#31 Post by xetaprime »

stevepusser wrote:
xetaprime wrote:As a tip for you, in case you find videos won't play in full screen mode, go into composite advanced rendering and uncheck - Don't composite full screen windows. Seems others are having the same problem. Lightdm is working well here :D
No, my video driver worked with that setting...but I see edeb is broken on my build--from what I see of the code, it should not work for you, either.
Hmm not sure about edeb (doesn't appear to be on my system) but gdebi is working on my system. Have Installed many an item. I should say I started with Debian LXDE stable. Have had good luck with e and lxde. Best, Xeta

Update: Interesting. So edeb only showed up when I enabled the ubuntu and PPA repo. Didn't try and install that one because I had downloaded a 1.8 version from a Bodhi link which then told me of a dependency issue with python-elementary. Of course as I said after I installed my e18 from the PPA, I commented all out back to debian stable settings. edeb and python-elementary did not install in my system but do show up when I un-comment the U and PPA repos. Since I don't yet have broken issues I'll leave them alone but hell maybe play with my live remaster and get back.

xetaprime

#32 Post by xetaprime »

So okay, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. The easiest way to explore what I did is boot up a live stable debian lxde or, use testing (to avoid upgrading Libc6) and install e18 that way. No harm to your current system and you can see it working. Logout login bam e18. If anyone wants my howto PM me and i'll send it to you. Yeah I know, while it's all being set up the proper way. But in the meantime if you want to 'play' that's a pretty safe way. That's how I tested it before I ever installed it...

Best, xeta

llivv

#33 Post by llivv »

xetaprime

#34 Post by xetaprime »

elive sucks. A few years ago I tried it. For one, you can download it free but have to pay to install it. Then if at some later point you change your hardware you have to pay again! Won't fall for that again.

llivv

#35 Post by llivv »

xetaprime wrote:elive sucks. A few years ago I tried it. For one, you can download it free but have to pay to install it. Then if at some later point you change your hardware you have to pay again! Won't fall for that again.
Not sure why you're using enlightenment if you don't think the devs deserve to be able to ask for money for any of it.
development of a live installer, especially one with all the enlightenment packages probably waddn't real easy.
Then having to maintain it must be real fun as well.

But I hear ya, that really sucks.... :oops: