Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Feedback

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Vantalk

Feedback

#1 Post by Vantalk »

Hello. In case Linux or more specifically Debian ppl do not want to resume only to developers and want to atract more users or make Debian more popular you may or may not take this into consideration. First i'll try to describe from what point of view im making this feedback, so a little info: Linux newb, Beginer developer, Windows advanced user (can debug and optimize). That's about my level..
Experience: Installed Ubuntu and Debian in VM and after that on the laptop. I had no problems on anything except the real instalation of Debian along with Windows7. In short, problems were: wireless firmware missing and Win7 not showing in grub. Solved after about a day (total hours).
Feedback: 1. Choosing grub instalation partition. I strongly sugest moving this part of the instalation a lot closer to the management of partitions. In my bad experience I forgot which was the number of the partition I chose so I had problems with setting a Windows Loader. This was especialy important since grub detected VISTA loader instead of Win7 and I thought something is wrong.
2. Most important after instalation is suport. It was very hard to find what I needed with information scattered around, going from link to link reading tons of pages without a proper working internet connection. It would be extremely apreciated if some attention would be given to just that: Boot, Mouse, Keyboard and Internet. A properly structured help with pict/video or at least not so many links would be highly apreciated. Even if Debian does not plan on burdening the distro with such info, at least a (one-time) popup message/link or image of the help button shoudl be displayed to know what to do or where to get help. Concise!
3. Getting help should be easier! For most important help you have to have internet. Presuming that works most times, then you have to: find the right forum, register, if anything wrong register elsewere, try chat, for chat read (FULL) documentation or provide information about accounts/things you have no ideea about, when someone DOES answer (cause sometimes they don't) you will get some help.. but sometimes just 'read', 'check manual'. People should try to understand and also to read but 1. can't always do everything when in a hurry and 2. reading everything needed will solve your urgent(now) matter in maybe 3-4 days. I would strongly sugest a simple service for asking questions, at least indicated a link to where to get help. In a great way things could be put in 2 ways: 1. dictionary of all commands/options as archlinux and 2. forum/chat for help

If the text is too long I'll summarize what I'm sugesting: 1. At instalation move grub instalation on the same page or more closer to partitioning step.
2. Structured help/tutorial, with pictures/videos and less reading links, for: booting, internet problems and mouse&keyboard. Indicate after instalation WHERE help is.
3. Provide an easy acces to chat or ask questions. Or least 2 links: one as dictionary for all commands and one indicating a forum for questions.

Hope this helps

Randicus

Re: Feedback

#2 Post by Randicus »

1. At instalation move grub instalation on the same page or more closer to partitioning step.
Boot-loader is at or near the end of every system I have installed. I am guessing it has something to do with a boot-loader needing a system to load, so the system is installed first.
2. Structured help/tutorial, with pictures/videos and less reading links, for: booting, internet problems and mouse&keyboard. Indicate after instalation WHERE help is.
Documentation is on a distribution's website. That is a good place to look. It is also a good idea to look at the installation instructions on a distribution's website before installing. Videos? Why? It is easier to read one or two paragraphs.
3. Provide an easy acces to chat or ask questions. Or least 2 links: one as dictionary for all commands and one indicating a forum for questions.
In other words better customer support. The problem is, we are not customers. We are users of a free system. Since users support each other and help themselves (read documentation) support is slower than employees at the other end of a forum or telephone line.

In short, you want the kind of customer support a company provides to the people who buy their product.

llivv

#3 Post by llivv »

The feedback is very typical. So much so that I had a hard time reading it all, again, even though it was only a few paragraphs..
As a beginning user/dev you will find this happen over and over again as you progress on your path to where ever you are headed with Linux.
Vantalk wrote:2. Structured help/tutorial, with pictures/videos and less reading links, for: booting, internet problems and mouse&keyboard. Indicate after instalation WHERE help is.
As a dev you are free to develop your own and offer it to whomever you choose
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

naednaem

#4 Post by naednaem »

thanks for the feedback...it will be appropriately filed...have a nice day and thank you for choosing debian