Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Potential Member not allowed to register

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
thanatos_incarnate

Re: Potential Member not allowed to register

#16 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Randicus wrote:You may not consider blocking ISPs based on countries of origin political, but people in places like Russia, India and China might disagree with. As someone living in one of those places, I know first-hand how harmful what I call ethnic ISP banning is. Is not being able to access many North American and European websites simply because of one's location political? Depends on whom one asks.
+1

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

by Randicus » Depends on whom one asks.
Well I would agree,"depends on who you ask" or where you look,

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economis ... s-internet
There is much more:
http://www.cfr.org/china/media-censorship-china/p11515
It would appear it is "political", these countries, try to keep the people from accessing sites in other parts of the world.
But , back to the original topic,
Here on this forum, and at any of the debian.org https://www.debian.org/
Nobody is trying to "block" anybody, simpley based on the country IP or one s political origin.
If and when someone can not register due to a "block", they can find out why, and there are ways to fix that, but if your country will not allow you to access certain sites or countries, there is not much any one here can do, as much as I do agree it is wrong for them to be doing that.
But another thing, if a site owner, decides they do not want to allow people from certain countries to access it, as the site owner, that is their right, to block or ban anyone from their site, for any reason.
---------------
After all said and done, if anyone has a problem registering here they should try to contact the administrators:HOWTO contact forum moderators/admins
or if it is just problems with your account
look at this : If you have problems of any kind with your account

Randicus

#18 Post by Randicus »

But another thing, if a site owner, decides they do not want to allow people from certain countries to access it, as the site owner, that is their right, to block or ban anyone from their site, for any reason.
Since this site is supposed to provide a venue for people all over the world to help each other and exchange opinions, hopefully the powers behind a site do not adopt such an attitude.