Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

INVESTMENT in 1 Tb Hdd for the board attachment quota

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Calin Roman

INVESTMENT in 1 Tb Hdd for the board attachment quota

#1 Post by Calin Roman »

After reading these 3 topics:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... nt#p493475

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... nt#p551757

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=116479

I propose to make an investment in - http://forums.debian.net, more precisely in: ”Server hard disk drive ,454146-B21 SATA 1TB HDD 3.5'' 454273-001” price 146 $

let-s identify some volunteer, from forum admins and donate to him, These will be investment in our comfort!

i will donate 5 Eur, to buy these HDD

P.S. these will make possible to increase the size of the attachments from 250kb to let-s say 1,5 mb a size of PrtScn!
To me, good forms of life are sacred, trees are my temples and forests are my cathedrals.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: INVESTMENT in 1 Tb Hdd for the board attachment quota

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't want massive attachments in this forum.

Many users have metered and/or crap connections and your suggestion would make the site much less usable and accessible for such users.

Use an image hosting site to post a thumbnail link; just don't use imagur, tinypic or any of those ones that need javascript enabled...
[/neckbeard]
deadbang

Calin Roman

#3 Post by Calin Roman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't want massive attachments in this forum.

Many users have metered and/or crap connections and your suggestion would make the site much less usable and accessible for such users.

Use an image hosting site to post a thumbnail link; just don't use imagur, tinypic or any of those ones that need javascript enabled...
[/neckbeard]
name a few sites! also if you don't want massive attachments let-s leave the size of the attachments at: 250kb.

also in instead of take care of hygiene:
neckbeard
1. (n) Facial hair that does not exist on the face, but instead on the neck. Almost never well groomed.

2. (n) Derogatory term for slovenly nerdy people who have no sense of hygiene or grooming. Often related to hobbies such as card gaming, video gaming, anime, et. al.
care more about health of: http://forums.debian.net

Without full functionality these debian forum look like a cripple with prosthesis from imgur.com.
To me, good forms of life are sacred, trees are my temples and forests are my cathedrals.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Calin Roman wrote:name a few sites
I always use http://postimage.org/

It has some dodgy adverts but no javascript is required.
deadbang

Randicus

#5 Post by Randicus »

Calin Roman wrote:name a few sites!
There are too many to list. Enter "free image hosting" into a search engine and you will find a plethora of services.
Without full functionality these debian forum look like a cripple with prosthesis from imgur.com.
Bullshit. Every forum I have been on either requires or prefers off-site hosting for large files.

Calin Roman

#6 Post by Calin Roman »

Randicus wrote:
Calin Roman wrote:name a few sites!
There are too many to list. Enter "free image hosting" into a search engine and you will find a plethora of services.
Bullshit. Every forum I have been on either requires or prefers off-site hosting for large files.
SO it-s a chance to be out of the box! in these sea of cripple forums. Debian is now more oriented do home user, let-s welcome them! (including me) from a new level of service!

Randicus

#7 Post by Randicus »

All fora are broken? You obviously do not understand the purpose of a computer user support forum. It is a place where people can ask for help to solve problems. It is neither a data storage centre nor social media site. It is not necessary to store a huge amount of large files. Your idea of "fixing" fora is to turn them into data storage centres. A more reasonable idea would be to create a storage site specifically for a forum, upload large files to it, and forum posts link to that site instead of outside image hosting services.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

@Randicus
+1
Well said, I was writing this when you posted:
i will donate 5 Eur, to buy these HDD
The offer is appreciated, so thank you,
But really it is not necessary,
name a few sites!
http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/top-1 ... s-2/118251
There are more, key words:
file storage sites
copy / paste into your favorite search engine, http://startpage.com is mine,..
Besides the bandwidth , there are a lot of things to consider, the "storage sites" are better equipped to handle that kind of thing, the good ones "scan" the files, making sure they are clean, and virus free,Then there is possible copy write violations, ..
Maybe yours is, only, a
1,5 mb a size of PrtScn!
but some one has to check it, the potential for abuse, in allowing attachments is to high.
Spammers, could start attaching 1.5 mb, of nothing but advertisements,.. etc.
attached images,and files, can contain hidden "code", "worms" and even viruses, every single image attached, needs to be scanned, and checked, The storage sites, all ready have done that, so we don't have to worry to much on that.
The software used to do the scanning, etc also uses bandwidth, plus requires someone that knows how to work with that,.. after all said and done, there is more involved then simply , buying a
”Server hard disk drive ,454146-B21 SATA 1TB HDD 3.5'' 454273-001” price 146 $
and plugging it in,..opening up the ports to the public, so they can start uploading who knows what , is not a trivial thing. The storage sites, have that all setup, and are using many "servers" with good security, firewalls ,etc.
To go into more details, would really be a different topic. So any way, thank you for the offer and suggestion.
P.S. You can start a account with your choice of "storage site", the registration maybe takes 5 min, depending ,.. it took me close to 20 minuets, to write this, multiply that by 4 or 5 and I think you can see why we do not like cross posting and multiple topics.
Thank you,

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

It's already hard enough to convince people that if they actually want useful help they should post text rather than "1,5 mb a size of PrtScn!" which most of the time is completely useless.
If I have to retype something from a pic to make a point, instead of a simple selective 'quote', i just won't bother, and neither will a lot of others.
It's a community, not a service - get with the program...
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

millpond

#10 Post by millpond »

Ideally, attahments would only be for files, like useful scripts.
Thumbnails from attachments are hard to see and interrupt the flow of reading.

No forum software I am aware of permits uploaded images within the message, where they really belong.
Even I cant do it with my own MyBB software. No addons for it either.

Requiring hotlinks is also not only predicated on hard drive space - but also bandwidth which can get enormous with large images, especially since 90% of traffic can easily be bots. Google eats ALOT.