Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My Recent Insensitive Post

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
thanatos_incarnate

My Recent Insensitive Post

#1 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Dear all,

I want to sincerely apologize for my recent post
where I've displayed an IS flag with systemd written on it.
In light of the recent events it was very insensitive and ugly.
My post was to demonstrate the paranoia and inflammatory
comments I see against systemd on this forum a lot.
Please don't take it as a critique of systemd on my side,
as I quite like it and am happy with its innovation.
To all victims of the IS and warfare around the world I sincerely
apologize. My intention was not to ridicule and belittle
this tragic chapter of world history.

dasein

Re: My Recent Insensitive Post

#2 Post by dasein »

This is a wonderful gesture, but I'd encourage you not to beat yourself up about it. You had no control over the fact that world events altered the context in which your post appeared. And the message is now gone.

Everyone has his/her moments of insufficient reflection. Today was just your turn.

At the risk of seeming incredibly presumptuous, I think I speak for virtually all of the members of this community (including you) when I say, Je suis Paris

mor

#3 Post by mor »

I just noticed the post was removed. I don't know if you removed or the administration did, but in any case I'd like to say I think it was the wrong decision.

While I feel your heartfelt apology comes from a good place, I think the very freedom we all (hopefully!) value so dearly here, would be that of NOT FEARING to say anything or even joke on anything. The minute anything is so sacred that it must be censored or warrant apologies, then everything is.

If all the nonsense of extremist terrorism is teaching us something, is really to stop pretending that there can be lines that can't be crossed.

Crewp

#4 Post by Crewp »

dasein wrote:This is a wonderful gesture, but I'd encourage you not to beat yourself up about it. You had no control over the fact that world events altered the context in which your post appeared. And the message is now gone.

Everyone has his/her moments of insufficient reflection. Today was just your turn.

At the risk of seeming incredibly presumptuous, I think I speak for virtually all of the members of this community (including you) when I say, Je suis Paris
+1