closed thread

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

closed thread

Postby lukas » 2016-04-29 19:36

Can someone enlighten me why this thread was closed
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118319
lukas

Re: closed thread

Postby golinux » 2016-04-29 19:39

lukas wrote:Can someone enlighten me why this thread was closed

Here's a guess . . . mods are allergic to a mention of Devuan (which is now in beta without systemd)
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby lukas » 2016-04-29 19:45

allergic or not, there are rules and, imho, they should be accepted by the mods too.
i am not sure the thread mentioned devuan that much anyway.
lukas

Postby arochester » 2016-04-29 19:45

Devuan now has its own website and forum. It does not belong here any more.
Debian Users Forum - for questions specific to the Debian official distribution (stable, testing, or unstable); if you are using a derivative of Debian (e.g. Mint, Ubuntu, Kali, etc), then please use that distribution’s forum.
arochester

Postby lukas » 2016-04-29 19:47

that is fine, but the thread isn't about devuan.
lukas

Postby arochester » 2016-04-29 19:52

This is not the place to discuss alternative Operating Systems.
Debian Users Forum - for questions specific to the Debian official distribution (stable, testing, or unstable); if you are using a derivative of Debian (e.g. Mint, Ubuntu, Kali, etc), then please use that distribution’s forum.
arochester

Postby lukas » 2016-04-29 19:56

fyi:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10653
"Stay on topic. Sometimes threads morph into something completely off topic, this is unavoidable when a bunch of people communicate. However, try to limit the off topic discussions to the off topic category. Long off topic discussions in other categories might get moved or locked.
Discussions in "Off topic" should still be in the spirit of this board, that is related to Linux/ Computers/ Software etc. Political, religious or racial discussions do not belong on this board."

I guess you assume that alternative operating systems have got nothing to do with Linux/Computers/Software

k. I am done here. Not that entertaining anyway. bunch of wannabes with no clue.
lukas

Postby oswaldkelso » 2016-04-30 07:54

arochester did you lock the thread? If you did it's shameful behaviour on your part and not something that is expected of this forum. Letting your personal feeling disrupt a popular thread that is of such interest to many is not what we expect. 44.000 views FFS and with in the forum guidelines.

A thread that you contributed to I might add. Grow some balls and unlock it please.
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby mardybear » 2016-04-30 08:21

Shame-on-whoever for sure. Very sad indeed. Locking a thread to discuss alternative OS in the off-topic area - silly.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.
mardybear

Postby arochester » 2016-04-30 09:40

I locked the post and I will not unlock it.

If you believe that I have been unfair please contact an Administrator and make a case to have me removed as a Moderator.

The topic had become terribly one sided, biased and had outlived its usefulness. Even though it is "Offtopic". The last post in the topic pointed out that there is a comprehensive list on the Devuan website. Job done. Go there for information.

Does anyone want to write a topic listing distros that DO use systemd? It will be considerably longer than the list of distros that DO NOT use systemd - and of course it will include Debian.

Does anyone want to write a topic, in "Offtopic", explaining fully how Ubuntu is wonderful and we should all use it?

Eric de Bono in his Thinking Tools has an exercise called PMI. People have to complete three columns and write down everything that is P-Positive, M-Minus and I-Interesting (neither positive nor negative). The anti-systemd lobby seem intent on telling us everything that they think is wrong with systemd and nothing that is right.

(Spot the signature that says "Running systemd free on Dragora GNU/linux-libre..." Pro or anti? )

"something that is expected of this forum". Unfettered ability to say whatever you want? Is that what EVERYBODY wants? Even the spammers?

What do you think Moderators are here for? Should we all just pack up and go away and let you get on with it?

What does EVERYONE think Moderators are here for?
arochester

Postby GarryRicketson » 2016-04-30 11:47

What do you think Moderators are here for? Should we all just pack up and go away and let you get on with it?

No, we need good moderators, and this forum would be a mess if there were not any.

To decide if and when topics should be locked, removed or what ever, as well as other
tasks, like when people post in the wrong topic, those posts need to be moved, etc,..
There is more, but I do not feel like listing everything just now.
And locking a topic is not that bad, I mean the topic is still there everybody can still read
it, all of the non-systemd distros being promoted in it are still listed.
It had reached a point where they were just "re-listing" the same ones that had all ready been mentioned earlier when the topic got started.

The topic had become terribly one sided, biased and had outlived its usefulness. Even though it is "Offtopic". The last post in the topic pointed out that there is a comprehensive list on the Devuan website. Job done. Go there for information.

And it is not right that when a moderator makes a decision, for a small group to start trying to bully them .
GarryRicketson

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-04-30 12:20

GarryRicketson wrote: It had reached a point where they were just "re-listing" the same ones that had all ready been mentioned earlier when the topic got started.

^ This.

Although I do think that closing the thread rather than just letting it die quietly in the corner is somewhat contrary to the spirit of these boards but then again I am a relative newcomer.
“Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming."Brian Kernighan

Please read before posting How to report a problem
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby GarryRicketson » 2016-04-30 12:35

golinux wrote:
lukas wrote:Can someone enlighten me why this thread was closed

Here's a guess . . . mods are allergic to a mention of Devuan (which is now in beta without systemd)

This does not have any grounds, if it was because the moderators have a problem with any posts mentioning Devuan, why did they not just remove all the posts that mention
Devaun, ? And there are a lot of them.
I would be more inclined to say, "Thank you for leaving the links to the Devaun site", and thank you for not removing the entire thread, with all the other links, that promote other Os's , the topic/thread is still there for anybody that wants to read it, and all the links are still there for anybody to follow, if they want to.
If the mod was targeting Devaun, or the Devaun web site, he would not allowed the last post :

Re: operating systems without systemd

Postby edbarx » 2016-04-28 23:58
I have just discovered Devuan's website neatly presents a list of OSs without systemd. Click here to view and scroll down to view the heading GNU/Linux Distributions without systemd.

Indeed, if anything this should help promote the website and get more people to go there, and post there, instead of here. Isn't that what you want ?
Really, you all should be saying thank you, instead of complaining.
GarryRicketson

Postby golinux » 2016-04-30 14:47

arochester wrote:Does anyone want to write a topic listing distros that DO use systemd? It will be considerably longer than the list of distros that DO NOT use systemd - and of course it will include Debian.
A longer list of distros using systemd does not prove anything except that when the herd starts jumping over the cliff many will follow.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby mardybear » 2016-04-30 21:03

arochester wrote:
I locked the post and I will not unlock it.

Always great to run into someone who's willing to discuss issues.

If you believe that I have been unfair please contact an Administrator and make a case to have me removed as a Moderator.

Administrator's on this forum are so involved, they'll probably hop right to it and address any concerns. Odd that this almost no moderation forum suddenly gets 'moderated'.

It's a thread about non systemd distributions - one sided? How about focused on the topic of non-systemd. Take a look at the edbarx Devuan link, it only touches on a few distributions. I actually just added a new distribution to the systemd free thread a couple weeks ago, so it's not dead yet and another member just queried rebuilding the list for readability.

Does anyone want to write a topic listing distros that DO use systemd? It will be considerably longer than the list of distros that DO NOT use systemd - and of course it will include Debian.

Go ahead...

Does anyone want to write a topic, in "Offtopic", explaining fully how Ubuntu is wonderful and we should all use it?

Whatever, gosh darn it this rhetoric really enforces your logic - great job buddy. Actually, there's already an active thread regarding this, please lock it down immediately.

Eric de Bono in his Thinking Tools has an exercise called PMI. People have to complete three columns and write down everything that is P-Positive, M-Minus and I-Interesting (neither positive nor negative). The anti-systemd lobby seem intent on telling us everything that they think is wrong with systemd and nothing that is right.

Welcome to the future where free speech will be lost and heaven forbid anybody express an actual opinion. To be a consistent moderator, please ensure all threads now discuss all of the positive, negative and 'interesting' aspects of the topic. For example, running stable is preferred for new users, then be sure to add but it may limit access to newer software and even if there isn't anything 'interesting' about the topic just make something up. Please ensure all threads are now comprehensive in this regard.

(Spot the signature that says "Running systemd free on Dragora GNU/linux-libre..." Pro or anti? )

All members please ensure your signatures express both positives and negatives, don't forget to add something 'interesting'.

"something that is expected of this forum". Unfettered ability to say whatever you want? Is that what EVERYBODY wants? Even the spammers?

Would be nice to have a forum where people can express opinions. Me thinks just happened somebody said something you didn't want to hear. See earlier reference regarding selective moderation.

Well that's how it used to be, guess it's now a 'moderated forum'. Please then go ahead and moderate. The current active topics list displays 50 active threads. Of these, three are marked solved and several others should also be marked solved. Please close these, they're done. Also close the screenshots thread, >300 pages of non-Debian systems, gross. Second thought delete the entire thread, don't leave evidence. Please close all threads started by uninformed or lazy newcomers once they've been informed to read the manual. For consistency, also close all other 'off-topic' threads. Current threads this might include:
- Unity desktop discussion
- frankenDebian
- recycled Introduction thread
- four pages of 'Quality of Forum'
- Iceweasel renamed Firefox (really just an announcement)
- Canonical discussion
- How to update testing - seriously

Moderators serve a purpose, selective moderation based on personal preference is silly and an abuse of *power* (used loosely). If you want to moderate, the 'to do' list above awaits. Thanks.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.
mardybear

Next

Return to Forum stuff & feedback