Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is this forum buried so deep on debian.org?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Lady Aleena

Why is this forum buried so deep on debian.org?

#1 Post by Lady Aleena »

I was looking around www.debian.org and noticed this forum is buried near the bottom of www.debian.org Support page. When I tried www.debian.net, I was redirected to www.debian.org. Also, the other forum in the section appears to be down, and it is suggested first. Shouldn't this forum be a link at the top of all of the pages on www.debian.org? Mailing lists and usenet groups should come AFTER forums as they are too much a pain to use. I either use the IRC channel on freenode or this forum to get questions answered about debian.

This is just my opinion, but having to look so deeply for the forum might drive newbies, especially those who are coming from Windows, away.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Why is this forum buried so deep on debian.org?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

These boards are not part of the official debian.org domain and are for users rather than developers.

If you wish to discuss issues with the Debian developers, the mailing lists are the correct venue.
Lady Aleena wrote:This is just my opinion, but having to look so deeply for the forum might drive newbies, especially those who are coming from Windows, away.
That's not a bug, it's a feature ;)
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

It isn't really buried all that deep, I never had any problem finding it.
Debian user forum
1st hit: http://forums.debian.net/

And on the Debian.org, under "support",...It is right there on the support page,..
https://www.debian.org/support
Web sites
Forums

debianHELP and Debian User Forums are web portals on which you can discuss Debian-related topics, submit questions about Debian, and have them answered by other users.
Complainer: Also, the other forum in the section appears to be down,
As far as the "debianhelp.org",...it says it is "Site under maintenance",...
Sometimes server/site administartors do need to do some maintenace, and some times in the process of doing that, they take the site offline, depending on how long
it takes them, it will be back online.

And on the Debian.org home page , it says very clearly :
To report a problem with the web site, e-mail debian-www@lists.debian.org.
So if you really see this as a problem, you need to contact them, in the manner they
say,... sometimes there are old links that are really broken, and if the person reports it in the proper manner, a Volunteer, that helps keep the website uptodate will remove the link, or make changes to the website if the changes really are needed.
Unfortunately there is a very limited number of persons willing to actually help, so
it sometimes takes a while before something is done.
I don't suppose the OP has ever considered volunteering, and helping out , ?
The website is pretty good, but nothing is perfect, it can only improve if and when
there are people willing to help improve it.

Lady Aleena

#4 Post by Lady Aleena »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:These boards are not part of the official debian.org domain and are for users rather than developers.

If you wish to discuss issues with the Debian developers, the mailing lists are the correct venue.
I made the assumption these forums were part of http://www.debian.org since http://www.debian.net redirects to .org.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Lady Aleena wrote:This is just my opinion, but having to look so deeply for the forum might drive newbies, especially those who are coming from Windows, away.
That's not a bug, it's a feature ;)
Debian got me away from Windows, on one computer at least.

GarryRicketson, I wouldn't know where to start to help them improve their site. I will give serious thought to volunteering. Thank you for the suggestion.

Head_on_a_Stick, wizard10000, and GarryRicketson have a very nice day!

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

all that said, the debian website(s) really need some structuring.
so much info is out there, so many alternative .isos etc., and it's really, really hard to get around and find it.

edit:
wow, debian.org now has a friendly green download button! i swear it wasn't there last time i looked!

Roken

#6 Post by Roken »

Honestly, I had to find it at lunch time from work - never been on from work. Google "Debian forum" and it's top of the list. Not that hard to find.

Gaius

#7 Post by Gaius »

wizard10000 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:...That's not a bug, it's a feature ;)
I still say we need a like button here :lol:
+1 ... you damn near made me spill my coffee, H_o_a_S
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Albert Einstein