Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to subscribe to a topic?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
clarkleach

How to subscribe to a topic?

#1 Post by clarkleach »

Sorry if this question has been answered already but a search of the forum didn't turn up an answer for me.

I noticed in 'User Control Panel' a tab to control subscriptions. What I haven't found yet is the mechanism by which one actually subscribes to a topic. It's probably right there in front of my face but I can't see it. Also, is there an option to automatically subscribe to threads that I start?

Thanks

Bulkley

Re: How to subscribe to a topic?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

This forum uses a stock phpBB setup. You can find documentation here.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

clarkleach wrote:It's probably right there in front of my face but I can't see it.
No, it's actually very well-hidden.

Pick a topic. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Look in the bottom-left corner.

clarkleach

#4 Post by clarkleach »

dasein wrote: No, it's actually very well-hidden.

Pick a topic. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Look in the bottom-left corner.
Ironically, when I scrolled to the bottom of the page to see if there was a clue as to which version phpBB user manual I should download and read to get the answer to this simple question, there it was - the answer to my question.

Thank you for your response. You gotta love it when someone responds with "RTFM" when a simple answer to the question requires as little effort.

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

clarkleach wrote:Thank you for your response. You gotta love it when someone responds with "RTFM" when a simple answer to the question requires as little effort.
On the contrary, Bulkley not only gave you a link to the pertinent docs, but his answer was entirely correct; you should have done a simple search before posting your question. See also: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078

While we're on the topic, I came back because I was nice enough to do your searching for you as regards your second question, which is even harder to find. And I was all set to post the answer. But now... do what I did and JFGI

Edit: Just read your posting history. Wow, you really have a knack for motivating volunteer helpers. In just 15 messages, you've done virtually nothing but whine about a range of topics:
  • - phpbb error messages
    - inxi isn't telepathic
    - Windows apologetics
    - personal attacks
    - a way tl;dr rant about Linux UX (I guarantee you, that is never going to change)
    - being told (correctly and politely) to RTFM
It's a wonder that people aren't lined up around the block to help you.

You say Kubuntu works just fine on your rig. I daresay no one here will be even slightly offended if you bugger off and use it instead of Debian.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

dasein wrote:Wow, you really have a knack for motivating volunteer helpers. In just 15 messages, you've done virtually nothing but whine about a range of topics:
  • - phpbb error messages
    - inxi isn't telepathic
    - Windows apologetics
    - personal attacks
    - a way tl;dr rant about Linux UX (I guarantee you, that is never going to change)
    - being told (correctly and politely) to RTFM
It's a wonder that people aren't lined up around the block to help you.
i wholeheartedly agree.
but, new topic, new chance, right?

i can say that other forums have an option to subscribe to a topic so that i can view "Subscribed topics" when i log on.
i don't have to actually post to the topic in question.
this can be very handy at times.
afaics, debian forum does not have that; the "Subscription" means one is notified via email, or at least i haven't found a way to replicate the functionality i've come to appreciate e.g. on LQ.

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:but, new topic, new chance, right?
Except he's already been a **** in this one, too.

This is why they invented ignore lists.