Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

This site vs report bug?What should I to use?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
lbuiyzxl

#1 Post by lbuiyzxl »

I can't find (googled) what something about this.
Forgive me,if this is a FAQ question.
Thank!
Last edited by lbuiyzxl on 2017-05-20 15:42, edited 3 times in total.
I'm sorry for my bad English skills
I'm don't want to be a nuisance.

GarryRicketson

Re: This site vs report bug?What should I to use?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

No this forum is not the right place to report any bugs, it will not
do any good to report it here.
These will give the details on how to report a bug.
https://wiki.debian.org/reportbug
and
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

If you need help with something then this is usually the place to post, although if you have a reproducible error occuring maybe it is better to report a bug.

One thing to remember, this forum is for users and, although developers may be joining, in it is not the place where "bugs" will be fixed, it is primarily where you can get help with configurations, settings, and well almost anything Debian related really.

If you post what the specific problem is then maybe it would be easier to answer the question with a direct recommendation.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

The problem has and is being discussed all ready, here :
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p644461
This was the most recent post.
I am pretty sure it is the problem the OP is referring to,
by Dai_trying » If you post what the specific problem is then maybe it would be easier to answer the question with a direct recommendation.
Please , do not start a new topic, on the same problem that is being discussed, that
would be double posting again.
How ever if it is a new problem, then it would be appropriate to start a new topic.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

GarryRicketson wrote:The problem has and is being discussed all ready, here :
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p644461
This was the most recent post.
I am pretty sure it is the problem the OP is referring to,
Assumption, not fact...
GarryRicketson wrote:
by Dai_trying » If you post what the specific problem is then maybe it would be easier to answer the question with a direct recommendation.
Please , do not start a new topic, on the same problem that is being discussed, that
would be double posting again.
Another assumption
GarryRicketson wrote: How ever if it is a new problem, then it would be appropriate to start a new topic.
Yes, let's give OP a chance...

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

ok, now imagine me with my head all red and swollen and shouting at the top of my lungs:
lbuiyzxl, have you still not learned your lesson?
stop starting new threads NOW!
Dai_trying wrote:Yes, let's give OP a chance...
you're being sarcastic, right? :scratchhead:

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

As I see it this post is a question and although it is not possible to give an exact answer without knowing what the problem is (and yes I have read his/her other thread, but this post doesn't state the issue) it is possible to answer with some guidelines (like I did). Who knows if the user has another problem? Do you? of course not and only by giving him/her some information can we help to educate. But maybe that is not the more important thing to other users here...

IMO too many ppl here are too willing to jump to conclusions instead of trying to educate others to the correct way to go about things, and everyone will learn at their own pace so you cannot expect others to learn the instant you make a post! Have none of you "Major posters" made the same mistake twice? Hmm... maybe you won't admit it but I'm pretty sure most of you have.

You should at least let somebody do something wrong before telling them not to do it!!

I wonder how you would do on a chinese forum? I say let him/her post and guide his posts in a more freindly manner and given some time they could become a valuable contributor (like many others here), but being told not to do something before you've even done it is ridiculous and likely to make people (possible future users reading these forums to see what it is like) think twice before even trying Debian.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#8 Post by arochester »

lbuiyzxl

This is a Forum for people who use Debian. We use Debian.

We are not Debian developers. We do not make Debian.

It is no good telling people who use Debian about a fault. We can't change it.

You need to report the fault to the people who make Debian. They might be able to do something about it.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

You should at least let somebody do something wrong before telling them not to do it!!
Based on this, One would also let someone walk into a busy street, without even looking both ways, or waiting for the cross walk light to turn green.
I think it is better to tell some one before they make the mistake, when it is pretty clear
they are about to do something they shouldn't.
Would you also let 2 children play with a loaded gun, instead of telling them not to do that, ? You would just go ahead and let them play, so they learn some lesson after one of them pulls the trigger and gets shot.
Or somebody asks about using Ubuntu repos in their sources,list file,...are you saying
we should just go ahead and say , yes do it ,...then after they have wrecked there system
tell them, they shouldn't have done that.

When some one does not know if something is right or wrong, it is important to tell people before they do something wrong, so they know it is wrong.

The OP did do the right thing by asking here first.
Not knowing for sure, if the problem or bug was related to the recent posts, but also knowing the OP can easily misunderstand, telling them , Yes start another to topic about this bug, probably would result in another post about the same problem, and I wanted to try to help them avoid getting more people upset,...

But in any event, I apologize for making a assumption, or if anything I said seems rude.
If the links I posted are not enough, and the OP still does not understand how to file a bug report, of course they are welcome to start a topic on that, and see if anyone can help them.

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Based on this, One would also let someone walk into a busy street, without even looking both ways, or waiting for the cross walk light to turn green.
In this scenario intervention would be the correct course of action as it involves physical danger, I'm cannot see how this is like making an assumption to what a user will post!
GarryRicketson wrote: I think it is better to tell some one before they make the mistake, when it is pretty clear
they are about to do something they shouldn't.

Would you also let 2 children play with a loaded gun, instead of telling them not to do that, ? You would just go ahead and let them play, so they learn some lesson after one of them pulls the trigger and gets shot.
Another preposterous situation with absolutely no connection to a user posting in a forum!
GarryRicketson wrote: Or somebody asks about using Ubuntu repos in their sources,list file,...are you saying
we should just go ahead and say , yes do it ,...then after they have wrecked there system
tell them, they shouldn't have done that.
At least we are getting to a real life situation here, and you have clearly misunderstood, as in your example you are giving bad advice to a question asked. Again this has no relevance to making an assumption of a possible future post!
GarryRicketson wrote: When some one does not know if something is right or wrong, it is important to tell people before they do something wrong, so they know it is wrong.
As far as this post goes the user asked a question, which to me means they do not know something and would like to know, however assuming the reference is to the same matter posted is the part that was wrong, clearly nobody but the OP knows if the question was related to the same subject or not, and due to the silence from them since we may never find out.
GarryRicketson wrote: The OP did do the right thing by asking here first.
Not knowing for sure, if the problem or bug was related to the recent posts, but also knowing the OP can easily misunderstand, telling them , Yes start another to topic about this bug, probably would result in another post about the same problem, and I wanted to try to help them avoid getting more people upset,...

But in any event, I apologize for making a assumption, or if anything I said seems rude.
If the links I posted are not enough, and the OP still does not understand how to file a bug report, of course they are welcome to start a topic on that, and see if anyone can help them.
Please do not misunderstand my reasons for posting, Your initial post (posted while I was reading and then responding) was exactly the sort of great response that is often given by you and many others who do a sterling job helping users, but other responses after that are what I see as the problem, especially as the OP did not reply. But I can't help feeling peeved whenever i see some of the remarks made (especialy to new users) and on occaision feel I have to say something, maybe I am wrong and it is more commonplace in todays world to be less tolerant towards the less experianced, but I don't feel it is right.