Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I wish people would just to a basic Google search

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I wish people would just to a basic Google search

#31 Post by CwF »

interesting discussion, some test to sign up a good idea, but to the original point:

Even for a fluent user the signal to noise ratio of a google search nowadays is very low. I'm thrilled when a lengthy specific query yield NO results. Google couldn't figure what to sell me... Identical Google searches from different credential don't even return the same results anymore. Well written guides and how-to's are the best bet, organized in maintained communities like this.

GarryRicketson

#32 Post by GarryRicketson »

Yes , but , well Google, is certainly not the only search engine, fortunately.
I do agree, google is the last choice , when I do any searches.
For those same reasons, all the results are just advertisements and spam sites. I guess they pay google to make sure they are in the first results but that would be another topic.

The other search engines usually get better results.
Other search engines that are better then google

debiman

#33 Post by debiman »

• searching the web is an underrated skill. it's not that easy, and providing the troubled newb with a useful search phrase or link is better than just saying "wtf, it literally took me 5s to find a solution for you". plus: still adhering to the "teach a person to fish" principle.
  • google == filter bubble. it can get positively annoying sometimes. for computer-related stuff i found duckduckgo.com to yield better results.