Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forum spam

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
pawRoot

Forum spam

#1 Post by pawRoot »

Is it so hard to introduce proper CAPTCHA? ... this is getting ridiculous

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Forum spam

#2 Post by steve_v »

pawRoot wrote:Is it so hard to introduce proper CAPTCHA?
For registration, sure. If anyone ever implements those abominations for posts, I'm gone.

I reserve a special place in hell for whomever released that google captcha api into the wild, I ****** hate the things. I'd rather put up with the spam than see them here.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

steve_v wrote:
pawRoot wrote:Is it so hard to introduce proper CAPTCHA?
For registration, sure. If anyone ever implements those abominations for posts, I'm gone.

I reserve a special place in hell for whomever released that google captcha api into the wild, I ****** hate the things. I'd rather put up with the spam than see them here.
No no not for posts :D

But i agree reCAPTCHA gives me cancer sometimes...

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

pawRoot wrote:... this is getting ridiculous
care to elaborate?

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Please, don't ask, or feed the troll,....
@trolls, spammers and "help vampires", and all those other entities that would
like to "poison the well"

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

^ so you consider pawRoot to be one of those?
interesting, hadn't looked at it this way.
while i tend to agree, i just thought the first post needed some (a lot of) clarification.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, I did not mention any specific name, but "If the shoe fits, they can wear it".
Actually, the entity you mention,... well it is on the ignore list, how ever I still check it, in case it posts actual spam. Anything beyond that is up to a admin or mod to decide.
I don't see anything wrong with the captcha, we are using, it is very easy to solve.
We have been getting huge amounts of spam this past month, very little has been on the board long enough to get reported by members.
I suppose if this continues , we are going to need to go to a more difficult type
of captcha, and maybe something that stops the spam bots, and other undesirable entities better, it could take the form of a captcha that needs to be solved when one posts, that would slow down a lot of the nonsense, and members would think twice before posting,... of course members with a real problem and those posting good solutions, would need to take the time and solve the captcha. Another option is a delay, one has to wait X number of minuets before they can make another post, if it is important most people will wait,.. During the waiting period it is a good opportunity to maybe do a search or browse the forum and read some other topics that might have the solution all ready. Of course the "help vampires" won't like this.
I do agree " just thought the first post needed some (a lot of) clarification."
In fact I started a discussion with the admins about that, earlier. The OP does
have a habit of doing this. (posts that are vague and un clear) . The bumping if 4 year old topics, is also a issue I brought up. It might be a good idea for a admin to go through the older topics, and lock the ones that no longer apply.
People could still post a reference link to the topic if need be when they start a new topic. Quite often the "outdated topics" are targeted by spam bots, and other entities that are very bot like, ... I suppose enough said on that.
============== edited ==================
by steve_v » For registration, sure. If anyone ever implements those abominations for posts, I'm gone.

I agree as well, and actually , like I mentioned, most of the spam gets moved off the board before any one even has a chance to report it,...so no body has to "put up with spam" for very long.
The other kind of posts that sometimes are a problem is more complex, and it can take a while for a admin or mod to decide what to do with them, ...
I have no idea what the OP is talking about, what is getting ridicules ?
To ask it to elaborate, just invites another pointless argument, something it seems to enjoy, so any way, that is all I have to say on this.

pawRoot

#8 Post by pawRoot »

GarryRicketson wrote:Please, don't ask, or feed the troll,....
@trolls, spammers and "help vampires", and all those other entities that would
like to "poison the well"
Normally i would think its alcohol but i think its your age.
Or maybe its both :roll:

pawRoot

#9 Post by pawRoot »

debiman wrote:
pawRoot wrote:... this is getting ridiculous
care to elaborate?
What is it about this post that you do not understand ? should i paint it for you perhaps

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

^ well those last 2 posts prove you right garry.
GarryRicketson wrote: We have been getting huge amounts of spam this past month, very little has been on the board long enough to get reported by members.
I suppose if this continues , we are going to need to go to a more difficult type
of captcha
i guess that is the clarification i was looking for.

and please, no per-post captchas!!!! that would be horrible!!!!