Bad Addresses

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Bad Addresses

Postby KitchM » 2020-05-22 22:49

None of the posted addresses under HOWTO contact forum admins actually go thru. Have tried both and get bounced back:
The mail system

<removed by admin>: host tartini.debian.net[217.196.43.138] said: 452
4.3.1 Insufficient system storage (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The delivery report states:
Reporting-MTA: dns; w1.tutanota.de
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 754A5FA00E0
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; removed by admin
Arrival-Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 20:48:56 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; removed
Original-Recipient: rfc822 removed
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; tartini.debian.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage
KitchM

Re: Bad Addresses

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-24 13:34

I don't know much, I tried the same e-mail and got the same results, it bounces. I don't believe they are using tartini.net : ( host tartini.debian.net) anymore, maybe the admin 4D696B65 here know something more on this, I would PM him if it is something you want to keep private, otherwise just post any problem here.
=From: https://sitereport.netcraft.com/?url=forums.debian.net
Code: Select all
Site    http://forums.debian.net
Netblock Owner    De Telegraaf
Domain    debian.net
Nameserver    denis.debian.org
IP address    217.196.43.138 (VirusTotal)
DNS admin    hostmaster@debian.org
IPv6 address    Not Present
Reverse DNS    unknown
Domain registrar    gandi.net
Nameserver organisation    whois.pir.org
Organisation    Software in the Public Interest, Inc. - Debian Project, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, United States
Hosting company denis.debian.org
IP address    217.196.43.138 (VirusTotal)
DNS admin    hostmaster@debian.org
IPv6 address    Not Present
Reverse DNS    unknown
Domain registrar    gandi.net
Nameserver organisation    whois.pir.org
Organisation    Software in the Public Interest, Inc. - Debian Project, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, United States
Hosting company    Cloudflare

======= edit ===
side note:
Someone should probably update the topic, since it is no longer accurate :
HOWTO contact forum admins

http://forums.debian.net/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=136
Jeroen
Last visited:
2008-06-25 06:27
Good luck contacting him :mrgreen:
=======
Just a thought ,, on my part , but it seems to me like the orginal founder, and administrators lost interest and abandoned this forum some time ago. I do appreciate the fact the there is someone whom apparently keeps the server running (to some extent) , but really , if they are not able, or willing to perform routine maintenance, and keep contact info up to date, etc, ..well maybe they should try to find some volunteers that are willing and able ?
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-05-24 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby 4D696B65 » 2020-05-24 13:43

Hi, I don't have access to the server, its logs or anything else server related. I am in the dark here. I use the same email to contact the orange guys (server admins).
This is interesting though. After some reading I found that Insufficient system storage on the server can cause the mysql issue.
4D696B65

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-24 13:53

Your right on that, and often this occurs when tons of old logs pile up, etc,... but also a ddos attack can cause similar problems. Any way, personally I do appreciate your doing what you can here.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
cuckooflew

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-24 19:09

I had not given it any thought, but the OP might want to edit and munge their e-mail address, if it is valid.
Scrapers could and do pass things like that on to e-mail spammers, etc.
========== edit ===========
Also , if the e-mail was sent at the same time the forum was down, it would bounce ,and the forum has been down 3 times recently.
and
cuckooflew

Postby 4D696B65 » 2020-05-24 20:00

cuckooflew wrote:I had not given it any thought, but the OP might want to edit and munge their e-mail address, if it is valid.
Scrapers could and do pass things like that on to e-mail spammers, etc.
========== edit ===========
Also , if the e-mail was sent at the same time the forum was down, it would bounce ,and the forum has been down 3 times recently.

I removed email address from OP.
4D696B65

Postby KitchM » 2020-05-25 15:00

So who are the admins?
KitchM

Postby RU55EL » 2020-05-25 17:45

The members with their user name in red.
RU55EL

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-25 17:52

Look at the bottom of the forum index page, there is a line, very clear:
Registered users: Bloom, dcihon
Legend: Administrators,Global moderators,Server Admins, Spam Hunters

On the actual index page, each one is colour coded, if and when they post , the colour indicates what they are, eg: 4D696B65 is red, this indicates he is a forum admin, and actually the only active one, the other Absent Minded, has not visited the forum for some time now, :
Code: Select all
Last visited:
    2019-04-23 21:30
a little less then a year ago,... If you mean the server admins, they are "mez" and Ganneff ,... some search foo, and /or also reading some of the very old posts will give you more information,....
=======================
Also I think, if you feel you need to contact the admins by e-mail, it is up and running now, the e-mail should go through, and I maybe was mistaken, tartini.debian.net is still in use.
If you read this post: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=146130#p720211 and look at the links shared by Dilberts-left-nut,...https://lists.debian.org/debian-infrastructure-announce/2020/04/msg00002.html
Some of this may make better sense, all though I am not sure it is directly related or not, I suspect it is though, any way, if the server that the forum is on is down, then also the e-mail is down as well, probably that is why your e-mail bounced. I did send a test e-mail yesterday , and it has not bounced, so I think that is back up now, if it isn't, I am sure they will get to it in due time,...this forum is not a priority for the Debian.org and .net, there are several other servers involved and what it takes to keep the infrastructure running is first priority. This forum is at the bottom, and actually is not even a part of Debian.org all though the server was originally set-up by a developer. "Mez", of course this was way before my time, I only recently joined the forum. In any event, I think the forum is pretty good, and like it because it is dedicated to just Debian , (mostly) compared to most other forums where they through all the distros into one category "Linux", and one needs to weed out the posts related to Debian. I have no interest in the other linux distros my self,..the admins and moderators here do pretty good with keeping it specific to Debian, also several members are all ways quick to point out, "Debian is NOT Ubuntu", or Kali, Mint, etc. With that said, I see this post is way to long, and probably it will go unread.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-05-25 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
and
cuckooflew

Postby RU55EL » 2020-05-25 19:13

I see this post is way to long, and probably it will go unread, the average member/user, have very limited reading / attention span, but that is another topic all together.

Your post is quite detailed and not too long, in my opinion. Much better than my reply. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
RU55EL

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-26 02:11

Well, thanks...side note , I made a edit, but after the quote was posted, decided that part was really kind of poorly worded....but what I mean, many readers just skim over posts, and when they are very long, they don't usually take the time to read it.
and
cuckooflew

Postby KitchM » 2020-05-26 16:27

No, not too long at all. I appreciate the detail. It always helps.

And I always read all the posts in my threads.
KitchM

Postby KitchM » 2020-05-27 17:46

Okay, still not working. I received this report:
Reporting-MTA: dns; w1.tutanota.de
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 8E64AFA03E9
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; kitchm@tutanota.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:30:16 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; admin@forums.debian.net
Original-Recipient: rfc822;admin@forums.debian.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; tartini.debian.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 450 4.1.7 <kitchm@tutanota.com>: Sender address
rejected: unverified address: host mail.tutanota.de[81.3.6.165] said: 450
4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your reverse hostname,
[217.196.43.138] (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I believe that I had verified my address when I signed up, so this makes no sense.
KitchM

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-27 19:33

You also might want to consider removing or munging your e-mail address in the post. posting it on a public board will attract a lot of e-mail spam.
I do not understand why it would get rejected either, I am far from being any expert on e-mail protocol, something may have changed since when you signed up here. What about when you send e-mail to ther persons ?
and
cuckooflew

Postby KitchM » 2020-05-29 14:20

No problems with anyone or anywhere else. There just seems to be a misconfiguration in the settings of the forum.

But we do see other issues in this forum as well, so it is not an isolated problem. The forum will block non-specific IP addresses for no good reason. It does not have a secure web site. So the issue that admins are not getting any email is no surprise.

I would be glad to help with the admin job if wanted.
KitchM

Next

Return to Forum stuff & feedback