Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Community Chat

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.

Would having a forum named something like "Community Chat" be beneficial?

Yes- it would give a sense that this is where a community can discuss anything
39%
No - there are plenty of other forums we don't need another one
61%

Total votes: 18

jsmidt

Community Chat

#1 Post by jsmidt »

I feel there should be a forum named "Community Chat" or something like that so it immeadiatly suggests that this is a place people of the debian community can go to chat about anything. I know there is an "offtopic" forum but I don't think it is obvious by that name what it is for. This I believe will increase the number using these forums. Plus "community chat" has a feel that we are a community, something "offtopic" doesn't. :)

Please give feedback.

mr

#2 Post by mr »

I'm against it. I think the only way to increase the usage of this forum (if that's actualy a necesity) is to increase the usage of Debian or Linux itself. As I think that the reason that most visit this forum is to obtain support or discuss development. There are many other forums dedicated to any other kind of discussion. An offtopic section is more than enough imho

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by domecq »

I agree that an offtopic forum is more than enough.

Domecq

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen »

Maybe the description of the offtopic forum can/should be improved? Suggestions welcome.

Christmas

#5 Post by Christmas »

mr wrote:I'm against it. I think the only way to increase the usage of this forum (if that's actualy a necesity) is to increase the usage of Debian or Linux itself. As I think that the reason that most visit this forum is to obtain support or discuss development.
I think you're wrong here. Look at the Ubuntu Forums which are very populated and there is a lot of activity there, and all this just because the good organization of that forum.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena

al3xanr0

#6 Post by al3xanr0 »

Jeroen wrote:Maybe the description of the offtopic forum can/should be improved? Suggestions welcome.
Is there any harm in just renaming it to "Community Chat"?
| Al3xanRO | Registered User #413462 |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. -Acts 2:21

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

No, but "Community Chat" sounds like a place where we guys (and girls :P) chat with each other, as if it was recess in a school and we wanted to hang around and chat a little.

While "Off Topic" sounds more like for anything you want to speak of even if it was about drugs, sex, Micro$oft (okay, now this went too far :lol: ), my underpants :roll:

Oh and I have pink Calvin Klein boxer shorts on :twisted:

Dargor

#8 Post by Dargor »

Why dont you just start useing offtopic as what you think "comunity chat" would be used. If people realy are to shy to use offtopic like that mabey you just need to lead the way.

simen

#9 Post by simen »

I'm with the no-people. Even though I enjoy the community aspect of this place, I think it would be overkill with two forums for random chit-chat. Maybe Jeroen has a point, though. The current description of Offtopic ("If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here"), while kind of funny, may seem a bit grumpy :) I'm sure it could be reworded to sound more inviting ("This forum is for informal discussions of any topic" or something along those lines?).

In short, I can think of other forums that I'd rather see spring to life than yet another off-topic one.

Regards,
--Simen

PS. Oh, and thamarok: I thought sex and drugs was what school kids discuss in recess. At least in my days ;)

Dargor

#10 Post by Dargor »

simen
PS. Oh, and thamarok: I thought sex and drugs was what school kids discuss in recess. At least in my days ;)
Na its all "straight edge" and "emo" these days they stand around talking about how they cut themselves because they hate there privileged life.