Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unfortunate bad experience

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
AdrianTM

#31 Post by AdrianTM »

Scorpius Maximus wrote:As a matter of fact, I do. You are "bitching" right back.
I'm pretty calm, and I'm actually having fun with your rants. Do continue.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

rickh

#32 Post by rickh »

Great! An extended conversation between a couple *buntu users, AdrianTM and Scorpius Maximus. This is guaranteed to rise into rarefied levels of intellectualism. LOL. Talk about the blind leading the blind...
Last edited by rickh on 2008-10-02 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Scorpius Maximus

#33 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

See, now that's funny! I was waiting for you to weigh in.
Got to go to work. See ya.

AdrianTM

#34 Post by AdrianTM »

rickh wrote:Great! An extended conversation between a couple *buntu users, AdrianTM and Scorpius Maximus. This is guaranteed to rise into rarefied intellectualism. LOL. Talk about the blind leading the blind...
Where did I say I use Ubuntu? (not there's anything wrong with it)

Of course you know the truth, but you like to lie and to troll... and by the way it doesn't bother that you accuse me that I use Ubuntu, since it wouldn't be anything to be ashamed of, it's just that it's not true and you know it and you continue to say it just for trollish reasons.

Ook

#35 Post by Ook »

rickh wrote:Great! An extended conversation between a couple *buntu users, AdrianTM and Scorpius Maximus. This is guaranteed to rise into rarefied intellectualism. LOL. Talk about the blind leading the blind...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ook

#36 Post by Ook »

AdrianTM wrote:
Where did I say I use Ubuntu? (not there's anything wrong with it)

Of course you know the truth, but you like to lie and to troll... and by the way it doesn't bother that you accuse me that I use Ubuntu, since it wouldn't be anything to be ashamed of, it's just that it's not true and you know it and you continue to say it just for trollish reasons.
You did, however, invite him into the thread as the big dog.

Scorpius Maximus

#37 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

Fraternal forum of the insulting and the offended. You guys don't even like each other, do you? You even offended and effectively insulted your butt-kisser. Nice!
Last edited by Scorpius Maximus on 2008-10-04 05:13, edited 3 times in total.

AdrianTM

#38 Post by AdrianTM »

Ook wrote:You did, however, invite him into the thread as the big dog.
Don't get me wrong, he doesn't bother me, I just wanted to set the record straight. I also find a bit stupid this kind of behavior... but hey, if he wants to look stupid he's my guest.

Scorpius Maximus

#39 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

Here’s a bulletin: We all look stupid!! Me, you and everyone in this thread. A wise man once said, “If you argue with an idiot it soon becomes difficult to figure out which one is the idiot.â€

AdrianTM

#40 Post by AdrianTM »

Scorpius Maximus wrote:You guys don't even like each other, do you?
You don't know how intertubes and forums work, do you?

AdrianTM

#41 Post by AdrianTM »

[quote="Scorpius Maximus"]Here’s a bulletin: We all look stupid!! Me, you and everyone in this thread. A wise man once said, “If you argue with an idiot it soon becomes difficult to figure out which one is the idiot.â€

Scorpius Maximus

#42 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

Well done. Profound. I like it but I think I have heard it before.
You don't know how intertubes and forums work, do you?
Why don't you enlighten me? Straighten me out, would ya!?
Oink!

Bro.Tiag

#43 Post by Bro.Tiag »

AdrianTM wrote:
I am going back to Kubuntu.
LOL, I didn't see that... then don't let the door slap your ass. What are you waiting for?
It is now time to reference the tried & true definition of the word "ubuntu".
Scorpius Maximus wrote:Forum for the eternally rude and offended. You guys don't even like each other, do you? You even offended and effectively insulted your butt-kisser. Nice.
Go on and ask your query on the irs, they make us look like choir boys.

Cheers

Scorpius Maximus

#44 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

Done deal. I've been sticking around lately purely for the entertainment value. Priceless!

infinitycircuit

#45 Post by infinitycircuit »

Scorpius Maximus wrote:There does not seem to be a STANDARD to follow for installing ATI graphics card drivers. I tried to undo one of these suggestions and it corrupted my package dependencies and APT. I had to re-install and start all over. I did finally get the drivers to compile and then I got a black screen. There, I WAS EXCITED!! That was progress. I posted my xorg.conf file and (I thought) asked for some more help. .
There is a standard way to install ati drivers: module-assistant. If you used the Debian-supported method instead of using the binaries from ATI's website as you did in the thread, you might have had more success and not "corrupted your package dependencies".

The solution to your second problem is to add DefaultDepth 24 or 16 to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

If you waited around long enough to get answers, instead of double-posting and then posting a huge trolling rant, you might have been more satisfied.

If you expect to get fawning people trying to help, go to ubuntuforums.org. If you want real help and can put with some big egos, just stay here--you'll be glad you did.

Scorpius Maximus

#46 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

Thanks.

didi

#47 Post by didi »

A couple of tips for ya:

Users of this forum (and maybe also other debian users) will not solve your problems, you are the one who will have to solve your problems.
That doesn't mean that you're all alone with each and every problem and that no-one will try to help you solve your problems.

But the amount of help you get depends on a number of factors:
- the description of your problem
Saying "it doesn't work" doesn't give anyone much to go at. Saying "when I did this or that I got an error" doesn't give much to go at either.
When you give a precise description of what you did (commands you executed), and the exact error msgs that you got (and output preceding that error) that will give ppl sth to go at.

- the effort you put in in order to solve your problem
Debian users expect you to put some real effort into problems before asking for help. When the solution to a problem is found on the first hit on google, you've shown that you didn't put much effort into it. If you're a newbie you maybe hinted the first time at the fact that the solution was easy to find and you should've found that yourself. The second time the remark won't be so friendly anymore and the third response will probably be like "Debian is not for you, try ubuntu, that will suit you better".
But when you did search google/this forum and/or read the man pages and tried out a couple of things and it still doesn't work then by all means ask for help here. But when you do, describe exactly all the things that you did try out, the results/error msgs that you got etc. Describing the reasons why you tried those things out, can also help ppl diagnose where your thinking got wrong.
And when someone tries to help you out and you respond "That didn't work, now what" isn't showing that you're willing to work on your problem, but you expect others to do. Unless you pay them, that's quite an unrealistic expectation. And that's an understatement.
And when someone asks you to execute a command and/or post the contents of a file, you just do that. If you don't know why (and/or think it may hurt your system), ask about it, so you will know what kind of info they're after and/or what command X will tell you about your system. That will give them the info they need in order to be able to help you (further) and you'll learn where and why to start digging when a (similar) problem arises.

- be polite
Debian is free and the ppl on this board don't make a dime by joining in on the discussions/helping ppl in their free time. So when they do help, that's very kind of them. But you have not and will not have any right to their time or knowledge. So when you are demanding help, you're SOL and probably get bashed for doing so. And rightfully so.
When you list 7 reasons why you'd opt for Debian and someone responds to 1 of them, you don't say "Apparently, you did not read my posts very good. I listed 7 of the reasons I came to Debian.
That's a very rude response. You assumed that he didn't read your post properly. Maybe he only found 1 statement worthy of a reponse? Did you expect him to have an opinion or care about that you want to learn, get rid of windows, that debian is free, etc? Another reason ppl may not respond to all the points being raised is that maybe they don't know much/anything about the other points and/or (think) they don't have anything (valuable) to contribute?
Another example: "I did not say Debian sucks. Read my post AGAIN!". Again, that's really rude and based on an assumption. When you (politely) ask "how did you come to the conclusion that I think Debian sucks" shows that you noticed a misinterpretation of your statement and are willing to clarify things. That'll result in a whole different type of response than one that essentially says "you're stupid, you can't even read".
While I realize that in this thread you're merely ranting, other posts of you showed a similar attitude.

And this:
Debian's goal is not to be user friendly. Being free (as in free speech), being stable and be available to a whole bunch of hardware platforms is far more important to debian. If that means that (binary) blobs and/or firmware are being removed, so be it. And that results (for example) in wireless cards not working out of the box (but it is rather easy to fix). If those choices are un-acceptable to you, then debian is not for you and another distro will likely provide what you do want. Feel free to use another distro.

And finally:
Stop assuming (so much). Normally assume makes an ass out of you and me, but in this case ... just you.

Hope this helps you in another forum life.

Scorpius Maximus

#48 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

Thanks again.
I'm sure few have noticed that when I am spoken to politely, I speak politely back.
I give what I get.
Rude went both ways.
Assuptions went both ways.
It takes two sides to have a trolling rant.
You guys have no trouble piling on. It's cool.
Anything I say is rude and is pointed out very quickly. The rudeness of the forum is dismissed without prejudice.
I did my homework. I did not just do the first Google and then post. I worked the problem and I responded with my results. If I was not giving oppropriate information that was needed, maybe someone could have kindly pointed that out. I did use the module-assistant method and It would not compile and install. It went through the motions OK but in the end there was no change. I had graphics but only 2D. My xorg.conf file remained unchanged. I then used the binary file from ATI and got it compile but then X wouldn't start. Then all this other crap escalated out of control, granted, due in large part to my impatience and expectation that those that had been kind enough to see me that far would help me finish solving the problem.
The rest is neither here nor there. I am merely responding in kind, at this point.
It's become good folly.
Last edited by Scorpius Maximus on 2008-10-03 00:34, edited 2 times in total.

MeanDean

#49 Post by MeanDean »

Scorpius Maximus wrote: It's become good folly.
no.....not so much actually...

:P

Scorpius Maximus

#50 Post by Scorpius Maximus »

You are still monitoring and posting, aren't you?