Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Daylight savings time

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Pick2

#16 Post by Pick2 »

mike102282 wrote:If you bought a new clock because you dont know how to change it you deserve to be broke.
I have two alarm clocks that the manufacturers were thoughtful enough to include automatic DST ! there is no way to turn it off and no way to change the date that it kicks in and out. so now I have to add an hour and a few weeks later subtract an hour , and do the exact opposite in the fall !

( You really know how to ruin a good Rant , don't you :) )

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by Lavene »

So, if I have got this right; the US has suddenly decided to move the date for DST. This of course breaks everything. Do we plan to fix it for you? (Ok... that was a cheap shot ;) )

Seriously though... I honestly don't know. If the maintainer of phpbb fixes the packages and if we upgrade I guess it will be fixed. Also if we decide to move to phpbb3 I'd expect it to be fixed. In any case I doubt much will be done about it before we move to DST anyway so you'll probably have to live with it for a couple of weeks until we catch up.

bugsbunny

#18 Post by bugsbunny »

DST is a local thing everywhere. Someplaces use it, someplaces don't. It's not simple. I doubt that phpbb3 would fix it. The correct way to do it would be to display time based on the settings of the computer the user is sitting at.

Right now there aren't any timezones, as such, in the profiles. There's just a +/- from UTC. Which is about all it can do. To handle it correctly it would need to know the persons desired location (as in city/country at a minimum) and then apply the correct DST rules for that locality (if any). Most of the world doesn't use DST.

Wiki has a good article.
Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BioTube

#19 Post by BioTube »

Really all that's needed is the option to select a real time zone. As long as the zones were kept current, then everybody could move into and out of DST at will without anybody else being fscked with.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

coolsen

Re: Daylight savings time

#20 Post by coolsen »

If DST do not work, it maybe because you have not installed ntpdate packed.

In supperuser mode do this:
#apt-get install ntpdate (and [ENTER])

That solved my problem

llivv

Re: Daylight savings time

#21 Post by llivv »

trick or treat

edit opps - sorry BioTube I'm off by a few days
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.