Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bring back the penguin!!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.

Do you want the good old penguin logo back?

Yes
81%
Yes
19%

Total votes: 63

Re: Bring back the penguin!!

#46 Post by 987687 »

Ook wrote:Yes. The place is looking very sharp but too spiffy and generic. This is a forum for DYI geniuses. It is about putting something unique and individualized together with personal innovation. There must be some sort of character, and it should be slightly askew. That is why the penguin was perfect, why it still is.
I agree, it looks way to formal. The blue title bar, debian logo, and boring bland font.
Desktop - 3.2GHz core2 quad
Laptop - 2.4GHz core2 duo ancient macbook
Bring back the penguin!! http://tinyurl.com/d57jwv

Cope57

#47 Post by Cope57 »

• No
  • No
We do not hate Tux, but he is not the Debian mascot.
He is a Linux mascot, and represents all Linux distributions, not just Debian.

The Debian swirl logo should stay.

If you can convince Debian to get rid of the swirl, and replace it with Tux; I will be happy to see the penguin back on the forum to represent Debian.
( o< -Penguins rule!
/ /\
V_/_
Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57

#48 Post by 987687 »

Cope57 wrote:
  • No
  • No
We do not hate Tux, but he is not the Debian mascot.
He is a Linux mascot, and represents all Linux distributions, not just Debian.

The Debian swirl logo should stay.

If you can convince Debian to get rid of the swirl, and replace it with Tux; I will be happy to see the penguin back on the forum to represent Debian.
If you are going to go by that reasoning... we should have the swirl, tux, and the GNU mascot. Because it is Debian GNU/Linux. Shouldn't they all be represented?

Ook

#49 Post by Ook »

Cope57 wrote:
  • No
  • No
You voted twice? :)
Last edited by Ook on 2009-05-20 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

tombom62

#50 Post by tombom62 »

ComputerBob wrote:
anarchyinc666 wrote:
Tadeas wrote:...I think they did away with him to make the site look more professional.
Personally, I'm glad that psycho-tux is gone.

But to set the record straight, anyone who's ever installed a phpbb forum knows that it comes pre-configured with its own default style. And that default style comes with its own text color, background colors, default icons, etc. The default phpbb forum style does not include psycho-tux. Someone had to manually tweak the forum code in the past to make psycho-tux replace the default "circus tent" image that displays in the default phpbb v2.x style of the old Debian forums -- the same "circus tent" image that can be seen up there right now in phpbb v3.x. In other words, the Debian forum admins *may* or may not have chosen to retire psycho-tux when they upgraded the forums, but the fact of the matter is that they would have had to do some work to have psycho-tux appear in these forums if they had wanted him to appear in these forums. And, at least so far, they've chosen to not do that work.

The default phpbb v3.x style is what everyone was seeing here before before the admins chose to make another style available several days ago. That default phpbb v3.x style that some users complained about was completely the result of upgrading these forums to the newer, more secure phpbb v3.x and it was the exact same style that everyone else who installs a phpbb v3.x forum gets by default -- it had nothing to do with the Debian admins working hard on the forums to make them look "more professional."

If you check the CSS, you'll see that the text color of these phpbb v3.x forums is somewhat lighter than black in both of the forum styles that are currently available to choose here. That's the default phpbb text color that everyone gets when they install a phpbb forum -- the Debian forum admins did not make a conscious choice to make these forums' text that color -- it came that way.

In my browser, I can force black to be the text color -- of every web site that I ever visit -- but I wouldn't want to do that because many web sites, including my own, use other text colors for emphasis, for headlines and for other purposes.

It's been a few years since I administered a phpbb forum (after trying phpbb v3.x, I switched to using SMF forum software), but IIRC, In phpbb forums, there's one admin config option that sets the text color of forum posts -- if a forum admin changed that one setting to #000000, then all of the text in posts like this one would instantly change to pure black instead of the sort-of-black that it is currently.

To me, it would make more sense to do that than to tell thousands of forum users to write config scripts, change their browser settings for every web site they visit, install browser hacks, etc., etc., etc.
That'd exactly what I would have said if I got here in time. I don't have anything to say but +1, I totally agree. I've installed phpbb2x and 3x and know that both themes used are the defaults but with minor changes (for the logos)
NO signature here.

Tadeas

#51 Post by Tadeas »

tombom62 wrote:...
Huh? I've never said anything like that.

I WANT PSYCHOTUX BACK!!!
:P
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

ComputerBob

#52 Post by ComputerBob »

I am the author of the post that tombom62 quoted.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

mike102282

#53 Post by mike102282 »

987687 wrote:This is an official petition to bring back the good old penguin logo!!
If you want the good old logo back, check either "Yes" on the poll. (both Yes's will be added together)

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about (for whatever reaon...) here it is:
This is the stupidest poll in the history of stupid polls.
Debian Linux Geek

#54 Post by 987687 »

mike102282 wrote:
987687 wrote:This is an official petition to bring back the good old penguin logo!!
If you want the good old logo back, check either "Yes" on the poll. (both Yes's will be added together)

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about (for whatever reaon...) here it is:
This is the stupidest poll in the history of stupid polls.
I'll take that as a compliment.
Thank you!

Stian1979

#55 Post by Stian1979 »

I say yes bring him back, but please a litle bether looking than befour, it really did not look that profesional.
Debian Bullseye

sickie

#56 Post by sickie »

And what exactly is a professional looking penguin? ;)
:shock:

Coco

#57 Post by Coco »

What about the gnu?
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

#58 Post by 987687 »

Holy head thread revival!

sickie

#59 Post by sickie »

I'd like a gnu of GNU too :D
Better than stinkin' Linux's penguin.
:shock:

gurfle

#60 Post by gurfle »

em4r1z wrote:No.
I seriously believe that the former forum logotype featuring a penguin with the Debian swirl within its left eye was poorly designed
Indeed! If I wasn't told it was a penguin, I never would have guessed, and even knowing, it took me about three or four times of going back to look at it before figuring out what it really was . . .

The spiral is one of the neatest logos I've ever seen - and it's use as the default Gnome desktop background (well at least so it was on my original Lenny install) is pricesless, but then I like abstractions and historical references. Yes there is one, but if it's accidental and unknown I'm not going to reveal it :twisted:

|\|.

Bro.Tiag

#61 Post by Bro.Tiag »

thegrogfrog

#62 Post by thegrogfrog »

sickie wrote:And what exactly is a professional looking penguin? ;)
One wearing a tux! :mrgreen: