Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian, VM-Ware, and kernel gcc

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
K-P

Debian, VM-Ware, and kernel gcc

#1 Post by K-P »

I posted this under general comments but got no replies. I am trying again in this forum. If this forum is wrong, is there any forum where this issue belongs? Posting into a bit-bucket is not fun.

---

I downloaded the 5.0.0 Debian ISO file, and created a Debian instance under VM-Ware Workstation. VM-Ware does not provide technical support for Debian except as Ubuntu. My Kubuntu installation already works.

From here on, I am winging the full installation, step by step. I have no idea what I am doing at this level, so If I sound stupid, I am.

The VM-Ware tool installer has to build some stuff nice and fresh. This stuff requires the same compiler version that was used to create the kernel, which I believe was 4.1.2. I believe the 5.0.0 distribution comes with V4.3 installed. The compilers are incompatible with each other in this regard.

I have 1/4 inch of two sided copy on my printer containing all the gory details necessary to create a new gcc version. I figure with all this information, I should be able to finish my task in five to ten years, if I live that long.

There has to be a faster way to get a NuG like me on board and productive with gcc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

KP

Also, I cannot believe I am the first person doing this.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Debian, VM-Ware, and kernel gcc

#2 Post by Lavene »

Have a little patience :) Not everyone know everything, and not everyone is online here all the time. No need to double post.
(I also moved your other thread to the support section)
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=39005