Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

spam-buster resignation

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
gnudude

spam-buster resignation

#1 Post by gnudude »

I would like to officially resign from my spam-buster position so that certain user(s) can add me to their foe list and shut the hell up about my posts. I assume that the user(s) will no longer be reading my posts so they will have no reason to complain about them once this is done and we can all stop hearing the pissing and moaning.

Why they spend their time reading my posts and reporting them when it has nothing to do with them is beyond me. For someone that wants to ignore me so badly they sure put in the effort to read my posts.

Actually those users should probably take a bit of wise advice...
ComputerBob wrote:... please just have enough self-control to just ignore it like the rest of us do....
I find it funny that the user(s) that piss and moan about my unhelpful behavior seems oblivious to their own similar behavior, especially when they post just to comment about other users behavior. Like they are the forum version of Ann Landers or some crap.... I find it very unpleasant to constantly see remarks commenting on other users behaviors instead of actually posting something on-topic and helpful. I may need to start reporting those as off-topic!

Please, remove my spam-buster powers ASAP!
Last edited by gnudude on 2009-09-13 21:21, edited 3 times in total.

julian67

Re: spam-buster resignation

#2 Post by julian67 »

I think that's a shame. People who report posts as spam just because they don't like the poster or the content, not because it's spam, need a kick in the backside.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Telemachus

#3 Post by Telemachus »

Is it me or has there been an uptick of this lately? That is, when I come here recently I've noticed a lot more posts asking for various non-spam-related kinds of moderation.

Maybe it's the phase of the moon...
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

gnudude

#4 Post by gnudude »

You would think people would let the Admins/Mods handle member behavior instead of feeling the need to report posts because they do not like how a certain user said something to some other user. It shouldn't be hard to figure out that 'behavior' is not a reason to report a post considering 'behavior' is not one of the listed choices in the 'report post' form.

It seems that some users are unable to deal with a forum that allows people to be themselves. I run into many different types of people everyday in the real world and see no reason a forum would not be filled with the same eclectic/diverse blend. Those that want everyone to act the same really worries me, like they feel the need to get rid of all the people they consider undesirable or something.

oh well....

julian67

#5 Post by julian67 »

gnudude wrote: Those that want everyone to act the same really worries me, like they feel the need to get rid of all the people they consider undesirable or something.
Maybe they are politicians or preachers.

gnudude

#6 Post by gnudude »

or hitler :?:

jalu

#7 Post by jalu »

reporting your posts is ridiculous.
no further comment required.

gnudude

#8 Post by gnudude »

You would think they would simply be content to balance the forum out using their niceness to counteract my meanness.

I do not ask to remake the forum in my image....why do they think it is okay to ask for it to be remade in theirs?

I tolerate the 'nice' members rambling wishy-washy chit-chat off-topic posts that I have to wade through when I try to help someone, is it too much to ask for the same consideration in regard to my 'mean', snide, and smart-ass replies?

</drama>

:wink:

julian67

#9 Post by julian67 »

gnudude wrote:You would think they would simply be content to balance the forum out using their niceness to counteract my meanness.
I do my best :lol:

Soul Singin'

#10 Post by Soul Singin' »

During the acrimony that ensued over who was nice enough to be a spam hunter, I imagined that this forum would become far more diplomatic. I'm glad that it has not.

So I'm writing to apply for Dean's spam hunter position. I promise to use it to flame all of the little tards who ran Dean out of his job.

gnudude

#11 Post by gnudude »

:lol: at monkey man

I nominate Soul Singin for my position!

gnudude

#13 Post by gnudude »

I was lol'ing at Issyer....err...monkey.....err...julian..

yea I recognize your avatar...love the black crowes...

now I shall have to report you for being off topic....and myself too :roll:

Soul Singin'

#14 Post by Soul Singin' »

gnudude wrote:now I shall have to report you for being off topic....and myself too :roll:
You had better ban me at the ISP level. I'm a dangerous character.

Thanks for the nomination.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#15 Post by Lavene »

Communication is not easy and the Internet, and forums like this, can be a rough place.

We are a lot of different people here, We have different views, different languages, different sense of humor, different religions etc etc. Sometimes you will find that you don't like some people and sometimes you will find that some people don't like you.

You might stumble upon something that you find offensive and to your great surprise find that a whole lot of people find it funny instead. Or you may find that you, in your attempt to be funny, offend someone.

There are several ways to approach these 'problems'. We can make a bunch of rules about what you can and can not say, modify them constantly and take great care in moderating the forum, send out warnings and ban people left and right. Take every complain seriously and take action every time. We can add 50 moderators to scrutinize every post, edit them or delete them if something can be interpreted as bad.

Or we can try to raise our level of tolerance a little and accept that we are different. We can, if a user annoys us, just ignore that user. Or, if we find that we constantly tick someone off without really meaning it, maybe try and use a slightly different wording in our posts.

Personally I vote for the latter...

julian67

#16 Post by julian67 »

That's it, I've had enough. Lavene goes on my ignore list.

edit: unless you're going to post more holiday pics.

Absent Minded

#17 Post by Absent Minded »

Gnudude, While I be the first to admit we don't always see eye to eye. I believe that you have a lot to offer to the forum, both as a member and as a spam-hunter. I have often appreciated your presence here although I don't always agree with the demeanor that you use. I think it is redicules that you would be expected to resign from your post here as spam-hunter when you do so much for the forum. It is my wish that you do not give up your position just to please a couple people that have complained about how you handle things. If I can set aside our differences and ignore what I don't like so can others. Granted there may still be times that I may say hey, I think you went too far there but I also appriciate that you stick it out here and are helping others. In my opinion we need you here. We have lost several knowledgable people this past year to disagreements. We don't need to loose any more.

I would like to say, Thank you for being here and all that you do to help make the Debian User Forum what it is.

Michael
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

gnudude

#18 Post by gnudude »

Lavene wrote:.... maybe try and use a slightly different wording in our posts.
better an excruciating death than that :shock:

wait....more holiday pics...there are MORE.... :shock:
Absent Minded wrote: It is my wish that you do not give up your position just to please a couple people that have complained about how you handle things.
I would like to say, Thank you for being here and all that you do to help make the Debian User Forum what it is.
Thank you for saying that. I am speechless....coming from one of the nicest (if not the nicest) members of our forum....

Oh well, if nobody is going to accept my resignation then....well...what can I say.... The user(s) that has complained about my posts will just have to figure out some other course of action. I could suggest a few if needed, just let me know. :wink:

ComputerBob

#19 Post by ComputerBob »

If a particular user's posts repeatedly offend you, these forums have a feature that lets you ignore all of their posts by simply adding them to your "foes" list. From that point on, all of their posts appear "minimized" within threads -- you can click on them if you want to read them, but they are hidden by default.

Although there are only 2 users in my "ignore" list, I am grateful that these forums have that feature.

But because of gnudude's current "spam-buster" duties, these forums consider him a "moderator," which makes him virtually "untouchable" (pun intended) -- no one is allowed to ignore gnudude's posts.

While I appreciate gnudude's willingness to serve as a "spam-buster," and would never ask for him to resign from that role, I don't see any valid reasons why "spam-busters" should be immune from being added to anyone's "foes" list.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

jalu

#20 Post by jalu »

crap.
i was hoping for a bit more fun.

is something like that the source of the problem:
is debian taking the balanced approach or are they just unable to define themsleves?
:wink:
:lol: