Suggestions for Beginners FAQ

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: Suggestions for Beginners FAQ

Postby oswaldkelso » 2009-11-21 20:31

Thanks for the feed back. I'll do as suggested. I'd noticed "Tips from our Members" thread and can link to sections where it makes sense. I doubt I'll have time to do much more until Monday and many things I know naff all about. I was trying to not have to many links in each section but if someone more wordy and knowledgeable than my self has better ideas great.
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby oswaldkelso » 2011-01-06 11:06

I'd just like to inform the forum that the beginners guide is being brought in-house. A table of contents has been created to allow better navigation and is sitting in draft form ready to be up dated. If all goes well the single forum post that exceeds the size limit allowed will be replaced by a multipost version. This should happen as soon as Mez gets the time The new version has the user "beginners guide" which is just a generic name for the group that created the original guide.

Cheers
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby dmhdlr » 2011-04-28 07:19

A tutorial on the /etc/apt/sources.list would be very helpful for Ubuntu emigres who were shielded from the sight of one by the Ubuntu Software Center, and have no idea what the .list is, what it should look like, how to edit it, etc.
[formerly known as Deckard]
"Emacs: making you posthuman since 1976"
Axiom #1: Emacs is a text interface prosthesis
Axiom #2: Org-mode gives you super cyborg organizational powers
cf. Why Emacs | Emacs-fu | EmacsWiki | Worg
dmhdlr

Postby Sergio » 2011-04-28 08:40

I do not think so.

You do not need to edit it unless you want to install something special. But in that case you always get a hint that you have to add something to your sources.list. In most cases people even say something like "sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list". So a real tutorial is not necessarily.
An explanation about "squeeze", "main", "non-free", "contrib" in simple matter would make much more sense. Also the thing about "key ring" (or what ever you call it) for verification, how it works and how to use it in a safe matter would be much more interesting.

I actually believe there are already some topics on that, even if they are outdated or a bit too technical.
Sergio

Postby Revenger » 2011-04-28 11:34

Then you may need tutorial how to use vi/nano (Because of same reason as above) and a tutorial HOW NOT to use sudo, but su, or root login (via console).
Next time someone says 'Go to hell' to me, I come right here.

Do you need bad help?
Revenger

Postby cynwulf » 2011-04-28 12:40

Deckard wrote:A tutorial on the /etc/apt/sources.list would be very helpful for Ubuntu emigres who were shielded from the sight of one by the Ubuntu Software Center, and have no idea what the .list is, what it should look like, how to edit it, etc.

No need for a general FAQ or gerber section at all - the truth is out there: http://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
cynwulf

Postby llivv » 2012-04-13 18:53

remove all suggestions/rules about posting as non of the suggestions/rules are followed anyway.
in the kitchen with Julia ....
[...]
Get on the D bus to B Can ....
[...]
llivv

Postby bmc5311 » 2012-04-13 21:59

llivv wrote:remove all suggestions/rules about posting as non of the suggestions/rules are followed anyway.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
macbook air /stable amd64/openbox

http://www.debianuserforums.org/ - By the community. For the community.
bmc5311

Postby phenest » 2014-04-15 20:17

bmc5311 wrote:
llivv wrote:remove all suggestions/rules about posting as non of the suggestions/rules are followed anyway.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's so funny? I second that suggestion. The rules are repeated for each topic section, and yet no-one seems to follow them.

Perhaps the forum requires a "home" page. An index page that is separate to the phpBB forum that lists all rules, and a link to enter the forum itself.
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
phenest

Postby Randicus » 2014-04-16 05:26

One; Why resurrect this thread after a year?
Two;
Perhaps the forum requires a "home" page. An index page that is separate to the phpBB forum that lists all rules, and a link to enter the forum itself.
How would that make a difference? It would not prevent people from not reading the rules or reading them and ignoring them. The only thing it would accomplish is add another page to the board.
Linux refugee having fled the merciless onslaught of systemd and the Buntard horde to a haven of sanity.
Randicus

Postby phenest » 2014-04-16 14:49

Randicus wrote:One; Why resurrect this thread after a year?
Two;
How would that make a difference? It would not prevent people from not reading the rules or reading them and ignoring them. The only thing it would accomplish is add another page to the board.

First time members would be greeted by the "home" page and be confronted by all the rules and suggestions that they would have to scroll through to reach the link for the main forum. If the rules/suggestions were presented in an easy read format, it's more likely they would get read by newcomers, than as it stands currently.
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
phenest

Previous

Return to Forum stuff & feedback