Plain text password sent on signup!

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: Plain text password sent on signup!

Postby Ahtiga Saraz » 2010-01-29 00:36

saulgoode wrote:
neddie wrote:Other systems I've seen make it very clear that the password being given will be emailed in plain text and therefore one shouldn't use a valuable password used elsewhere - this forum should do the same if it doesn't do already.

I agree.

Me too.

nadir wrote:I'm a little surprised with the amount of attitude that has come back.

I'm not. I seem to see quite a bit of...attitude... in this forum. And it's wearing rather thin.
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!
Ahtiga Saraz

Postby nadir » 2010-01-29 00:53

hi,
i didn't write that, i quoted it.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
nadir

Postby Pick2 » 2010-01-29 05:09

Ahtiga Saraz wrote:... I seem to see quite a bit of...attitude... in this forum. And it's wearing rather thin.

Personally , I think you are mistaking our meager attempts at humor ( especially in off topic ) as an attitude. The further away from discussing things relevant to debian you get , the more of that you will probably see. Just assume it's all humor ... don't take anything personally ... and you'll do fine here.
The reality is , that every one posting here , except one's self , is just a Nickname. We don't know who anybody is , we all might be AI bots for all we really know. To take ANYTHING that is posted here as a personal attack or an insult and then feel bad about it is ridiculous. Why would you even care ? To every one else here ... you are just a Nickname. Or maybe an FBI bot ! Or an Alien ! Illegal or otherwise !

You could always go back to watching "Fringe" on the telly :lol:
Pick2

Postby smv » 2010-11-19 16:05

/me should have put the tin foil hat on before signing up on the forums

Just to bump this topic up, I will say that this is indeed an issue that has to be fixed, or at least this is how I see it, and that it can be fixed in no time.

Debian is, regardless of the things that happened with some packages in the past, one of the most secure operating systems; if not "by default", at least much more securable than the others. The forums should be secure too, wheter they are official or not.
smv

Postby Mez » 2010-11-22 20:29

I've edited the password out of all of the files, as neccesary :)
Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

Previous

Return to Forum stuff & feedback